Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading/Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Davidian

Davidian

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

Current System:

i7 4770 3.4Ghz
Corsair H55 Liquid cooling
ASUS TUF Series SABERTOOTH Z87 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150)
G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3
1 x SSD 120GB (OS)
1x300gb Velociraptor (Favorite Games)
1 x 500gb WD Caviar Blue (Music Production/Djing)
1 x 2tb WD Caviar Green (Storage, low quality Games, misc)
1 x 1tb WD Caviar Green (as above)
MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB
OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO 700W SILENT S
Corsair Carbide 400-R

Also my monitor is: Asus MG278Q 27-inch (2560 x 1440, 144 Hz, 1 ms, Freesync)

Whilst I would love to have a 1TB SSD for gaming, it is a bit out of my price range, as is a new GPU unfortunately. (Though are on the cards for the future)

I was trying to think about the next move for upgrading and a shortstop for in between

Presently going through potential redundancy so I can't afford to waste money I might need.. however if I don't get made redundant then I will be celebrating with upgrades.

I was wondering if you thought it would be worth overclocking my CPU to 4Ghz for now and if you think i need to improve the cooling to do so.

Also my next set of upgrades... if and when I can afford them:

Should I go for a 6th Gen i7 new mobo and DDR4 Ram or is there a better option?
Any other suggestions?

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

I personally wouldn't overclock with a AIO liquid cooler.

Reasons: Even the best aren't as good as top-of-the-line Air Cooling, and they are Waaaaaaaaaaay out of the league of Custom Loop watercooling (what I use).

When is your upgrade timeframe? AMD's upcomming Zen processors should introduce competition ( = better prices) when they are released...
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

Well, I will find out within the next couple of months if I still have a Job, so not till then at the earliest.

I am in no rush to upgrade though - I am not getting issues, just noticed some games I am only getting 40-60 FPS with dips down to 35!

In all honesty though I don't really need to, most of the games I play are older or lower graphic intensity than most and I'm hitting the 100's.

I'm just aware that most of the components in my machine are about 3 years old now, and I don't want to get to a point where the whole thing is too out of date to upgrade incrementally and I need to build a whole new machine again.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

FYI it's typically more cost effective to upgrade all at once. You can try a mild OC if you think it might help, but beware of stability issues. overclock.net is usually a good place to look for guides on the subject. I would defiantly wait if you are able, as price / FLOPS tends to go down as new technologies come out.

#5 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:13 AM

FYI it's typically more cost effective to upgrade all at once. You can try a mild OC if you think it might help, but beware of stability issues. overclock.net is usually a good place to look for guides on the subject. I would defiantly wait if you are able, as price / FLOPS tends to go down as new technologies come out.

To be honest I can wait.. games like payday 2 and csgo I get circa 150FPS - dying light was 45-55 FPS average with dips above and below.

I tend to upgrade everything every 3 years, but case, and HDDs/SSDs are more than adequate... I don't really need a new GPU (although I would love something like the 295X2 I am not spending a grand on a card like that) the only thing in the system that I feel needs a refresh is the Processor and Ram... and with that comes a new MOBO (which is a shame as I love my Mobo)

There are other changes I could make I suppose, like one of those M2 SSDs, and a dedicated SSD for gaming rather than using my green drives.

I read up on those Zen processors. They made me do a sex wee.

Can't wait to see how they compare in real world tests against the latest batch of intel processors.

I used to be quite the AMD fan boy but felt they really dropped the ball the last few years or so (hence buying the i7 2-3 years ago)..

Looking at my current system, what would you change?

I'd say ignore the money, but realistically.. a GPU that costs a grand isn't a realistic change for me, but if it were a few changes that added up to a grand that might be more realistic.

Oh, and thanks for your responses so far, it is much appreciated.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

No problem :) to be honest, I don't see anything particularly in desperate need of an upgrade, so you should be fine waiting if you're willing to wait. GPU, CPU, and storage should be quite adequate for some time to come.

#7 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Cool, I am more than willing to wait. Perhaps the next venture should be a large SSD for gaming, and a single larger drive instead of the multiple green drives for the rest of my storage.

I've got a media server with a bunch of WD Red drives in, but I could always throw in the green drives to it too.

Always wonder with GPU's - I know if you can afford it that say one R9 285X2 would be better than me getting a second R9 290 (which if added up the cost of two new would be almost as much) - but I never know if it is worth doing.

I remember the early stages of crossfire and sli.. not talking about the early early stages where you shoved an 8mb vodoo on a 12mb voodoo card hehe, but when you first got two of the same card.. I had 2 x 512mb NVIDIA chips and I noticed NO difference.

Whilst I am sure the tech has come on, I do wonder if the expense is worth it if you are not doing something like occulous rift...

sorry.. waffling on now..

Thank you for your help. I shall wait with my wallet crossed for the Zens to be released and see how they perform in the first couple of months before considering a proper upgrade.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

I bought a pair of 290Xs which is basically the same as a 295X2. However there are new GPUs coming soon too... an SSD upgrade may not be a bad idea though.

#9 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

I suppose from one view there is always going to be something new coming out.

I just noticed that I had a setting on I shouldn't have had in dying light - been experimenting with a number of games and averaging 150-300 FPS for most of the games I play lol.

A few of the games that are "early access" I am hitting 60 FPS but I am unsure as if it is being limited by them or me.

Do you think I should Upgrade my OS SSD to one of the M2 drives and use my existing SSD as a gaming drive short term, or just save up for a large SSD for gaming?

I've been reading many reviews, and it looks like the 1tb Samsung 850 Pro drive seems to be the best... but man is it expensive.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

I suppose from one view there is always going to be something new coming out.

Another view is that it may take time before something new is coming out. Nvidia's flagship card was released year ago, so during this year nothing new came out (when talking about Nvidia's flagship card). It also means that right now it's one of the worst times to buy Nvidia flagship card. That was just general example of that "you should never wait because all the time something new is coming" that is generally BS.

For other upgrades, changing CPU makes no sense. Your current GPU is very fast from today's offerings (and I'd say its hard to notice difference against any single GPU solution), so wait for better ones.

Current M.2 drives overheat or slow down during heavy use so basically M.2 drives are still on beta phase. So I cannot recommend them either.

Overall, I suggest you save your money for later.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 May 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#11 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

Cool, cheers dude :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users