Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update manager issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

For the last few days I have been having problems with the updater not working correctly, or I think it is not.

I copied the error message but it will not paste.  Does Mate automaticly run uppdate as a super user? Not asking for permissions at all.

One other thing of note. The super user account is labeled linux 17.3 Rosa is that not from cinnamon?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

Does Mate automaticly run uppdate as a super user? Not asking for permissions at all.

One other thing of note. The super user account is labeled linux 17.3 Rosa is that not from cinnamon?

Let's start with: I thought you were running Cinnamon?

Yes, if you are indeed using the LiveMateUSB you can Update as super user because it has not been installed, so there is no password yet, at least for Updates.

There is a login password, "mint" I think but that's it as far as I remember.

Just remember not to "Upgrade" as the USB won't have room for all those Upgrades.  And don't run the Driver Manager either, like you did with your last Cinnamon install, it will most likely get stuck in a endless loop.

Don't understand the second sentence either?  Are you running from the LiveMateUSB?  If so, then it has nothing to do with Cinnamon, you are running off the USB, independent of your Cinnamon Install...Completely.

Hope that helps!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

For the last few days I have been having problems with the updater not working correctly, or I think it is not.

I copied the error message but it will not paste.

Without knowing more about the error it will be difficult for anyone to speculate as to the cause. If you can't copy/paste, you can always take a screenshot, or just write it out by hand.

The super user account is labeled linux 17.3 Rosa is that not from cinnamon?

The super user is "root", always, regardless of which linux distro you use. 17.3 is a release number, Rosa is the codename for that number.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

I think further clarification is in order.  Now Hollowface has provided me with a good explanation to what I was seeing.

I am running Mate from a live session on my Sandisk thumb drive and this was working pretty good. however I received the advice to not add too much stuff to it and not to enable the automatic updater.  OOOPPSS to late lol

I thought I had been running the first live session about a week.  Worried that my cinnamon install needed updateing. I ended the session and shutdown completly and removed the stick. Rebooted into cinnamon [no issues] and updated cinnamon.

Shutdown again reinstalled the stick and rebooted. No issues until I went to make some necessary changes that I have to make whether I am running a live session or installed. Example time/date and changeing my dns servers to open DNS.

These normally worked but this time the date would not change even the little window was different.  The DNS window would not let me change the servers this time. Other than that the current live session is working well.

Thanks all of you.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

I thought I had been running the first live session about a week. 

These normally worked but this time the date would not change even the little window was different.  The DNS window would not let me change the servers this time. Other than that the current live session is working well.

Thanks all of you.

This is just me, but I would never leave my lappy running for a week.  Places were I have worked did this and they don't seem to last long.  There were other factors at play also, employee's treating them badly and not the cleanest environment.  Really I just don't want to put that many hours on it.

You might be taking the USB thing a little to far lol, but it is all in fun as it was for me.  But you can't take it too far or you can break them, they weren't really designed for to much change imo.  If you want to do it this way, then you might be better off with a Full Install to the USB, but, this will make it slower ime.  I have experimented with slower USB's and they are not fast, not worth it.  I would like to try it with a USB that meets or exceeds the speed of the USB Port, that would be worth looking into.  Unfortunately this would require a purchase of a quite expensive USB?  I have tried the LinuxLiveSession on a 128gb PNY 3.0 Turbo something, and it was no faster than the lesser usb.  I believe this to be some limit to the file being written by the installer.  You'd be better off getting a cheap SSD to put in the lappy.

If you've tested Mate enough maybe you should install it over Cinnamon, or Dual Boot with Cinnamon.  But, you might want to start over and re-write that Unetbootin Install.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

It depends on the port you plug it into, Why would you expect your USB 3 to be fast if its plugged into a USB 1 or 2 port?

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

Should be much faster than the cheapo 2.0 usb's that don't come close to the current 1.1 or 2.0 ports being used?  The 128 3.0 I used is close to the current ports being used but not as fast as a 3.0 port.  It is not a top of the heap 3.0 but just enough to utilize the 2.0 port as I understand when looked up the numbers.  I could be wrong but that is roughly what I saw.  The benchmarks for the USB were a third party speed test, not the OEM's claims.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users