Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about internal hardware problems w/ Dell Optiplex 390s

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 process8

process8

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:49 AM

Hi,

I am/was about to buy an older (2011-2012) Dell Optiplex 390 with the i5 (2400) processor. Whether I buy it or not will have a lot to do with what I learn here.

I found a lengthy thread on SPICEWORKS about a whole host of problems with the 390; power supply failures, bulging, melting capacitors, outdated Bios problems, bad MBs, problems getting them out of deep sleep mode and on and on and on.

The odd thing is I did not find any other info elsewhere that outlined these problems. This long thread (114 posts) almost seemed like "pile on inexpensive Dell computers."

Does anyone her know if the Optiplex 390 Mini Towers are really dogs?

I have only until late Friday afternoon to do this deal or back out of it. So please help me out with this if you can.

Thank you.

Edited by process8, 28 April 2016 - 01:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

Anytime you buy an older computer, any brand or config, "yu' takes yu' chances, son" (as the old saying goes). Any retail manufacturer that makes a  budget line of computers, makes them as cheap as they can so they can sell them as cheap as they can. They cut corners, use the lowest cost parts they can find wherever they can find them, use the cheapest mainboards from commercial jobbers (such as Foxconn and ECS), lowest cost power supplies, etc. and supply either useless customer support, or none at all. I have seen posters in forums come to harsh language with each other arguing which computer is better than another, but what they don't realize is that all these low-cost retail units are the same, hands down. 

So.....that is the used computer that you are wanting to purchase. And it's old. Nobody here can tell you if it's a good decision or not because nobody can predict how much longer that unit will function, which part is going to fail first (or already has) or what peripheral you want that it doesn't have, or even what condition it currently is in. 

Sorry for not giving you a clear answer, but those are the facts of the computer world.

Boot it up, see if it runs, and make your judgement on that. But the old saying I quoted above applies.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users