Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer-problems-with-vista/

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

Please see post #19. I hope I am doing this right. Per Chris Cosgrove

I found adware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610687/computer-problems-with-vista/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610687/computer-problems-with-vista/page-2#entry3986373

Edited by Condobloke, 27 April 2016 - 08:47 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524002/win32bundledtoolbargoogled-win32toolbarwidgib/

I guess everyone see things differently. Here is a person that has the same infection and where instructed to run several scans. But in my instance have the same amount of infections found and computer is not letting me install programs, some where something is wrong.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hi, just want to ask here, since your other topic has been closed, after your reinstall of Vista, did you update to service pack 2?

Many programs, especially security programs, will not install without service pack 2 being installed.

Please run a scan with Malwarebytes, and post the results here.

Malwarebytes can be obtained for free at Malwarebytes.org by clicking on the download button there, you do not need to get the paid version, just download the free one.

I just looked at the requirements for Malwarebytes and you only need to have service pack 1 installed but if you haven't updated to service pack 2, you really should do that as soon as you can

Also, you said that you have infections, but from what you posted in your other thread, the only things that ESET found was the toolbar that appears to have come from CCleaner, w32/bundled.toolbar.google.d, which was listed 5 times.

But that was only detected by ESET as a potentially unsafe application, it was not detected as a virus.

Have you had any other detections?

Edited by Stang777, 28 April 2016 - 09:28 PM.

#5 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

No, I have not installed Service Pack 2 or Malwarebytes.  Can someone please provide links what you are suggesting please? Thanks it would be appreciated.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

Not sure what links you are asking for.

But again, the w32/bundled.toolbar.google.d was only detected by ESET as a potentially unsafe application.

Here is a link I posted for you before that you might want to read for the two year old discussion about this toolbar detection at the Piriform (the makers of CCleaner) forum...

http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=40552

Here is a link to the standalone service pack 2 installer...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468

Not sure if you have service pack 1 installed but you do have to have it installed before you can install service pack 2.

Here is the link to the standalone installer for service pack 1...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30

The link to Malwarebytes is...

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Edited by Stang777, 28 April 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

In your other topic, you said that you deleted your Symantec program, how did you do that?

Did you just delete the folder, or did you actually  uninstall it?

If you uninstalled it, how did you uninstall it, as in, did you use the add/remove program feature in Vista, or did you use the removal tool by Symantec, or did you use some other uninstall program like Revo Uninstaller?

Was the Symantec program just the Norton Anti-Virus program or was it something else?

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

Just to clarify, since I do not know what programs you have on your system, I was only able to offer a guess as to which program you installed that had that toolbar bundled with it, so I guessed CCleaner as that is one that has it and is a very common one that people use.

However, in the thread from another poster that you linked to, it appears that persons occurrence of w32/bundled.toolbar.google.d came from Adobe Shockwave which is also a very reputable program, like CCleaner is. You could have installed this toolbar when installing any number of different programs, as it does come bundled with other reputable programs. Because of the reputation of the programs that include this toolbar, I do not see it as being a malicious thing. I wouldn't want it on my system, just cause I don't like toolbars, but I am sure there are those who do like it.

Since you seem to be concerned about it, I would just uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller, then follow up with additional scans, especially with Malwarebytes.

After you install service pack 2, you should be able to put any of several different anti-virus programs on your system. I wholeheartedly recommend ZoneAlarm Pro Anti-virus and Firewall. They do offer a free version of that, but I would still recommend the paid version. I do know that ZoneAlarm will run just fine on a computer running Vista with service pack 2.

#9 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

Ok, tried to install service pack 2 and told me that I need 1. I have used the link you gave me to install 1 and then will try to install 2. As far as Symantec I just might have deleted the folder but the subscription has expired a year ago.So I would need to have that deleted. Not sure where I downloaded the w32/bundled but I was never able to install any program at all. I will try to install once I finish service pack 1 and 2.

#10 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

Service pack one failed

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Try it again, sometimes it takes a few tries.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

Have you been able to try installing service pack 1 again yet?

Btw, never just delete a folder containing a program. Programs need to be uninstalled, not deleted. Since you have uninstalled it, the best thing to do will probably be to run Symantec/Norton removal tool and hope it will still work with the actual program deleted. It should work just fine, so try running it. Make sure you run the removal tool before attempting to install any other anti-virus program.

As to where you could have downloaded the w32.bundled thing, it could be from in a number of install programs and considering the fact that you have not installed points to the w32.bundled thing just being found in a file that will install the program on your computer.

In any case, try running service pack 1 from the standalone link again and running the Norton Removal tool.

The Norton Removal Tool can be downloaded from...

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

#13 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:33 AM

I have tried for 2 days to download service pack 1 through my windows update and the link you provided as well. It has three instances where it says it is installed but when I tried to download service pack 2 it tells me to install service pack 1. When go to windows update history I can see where it has been downloaded but it states it has not been downloaded. :smash:

As far as Norton Security it came with the computer years ago ad whenever I reinstall it reintstalls the outdated program. It has no use because I will need to pay for the prescription. I will try to uninstall it with the link above.

I am clueless about the updates most updates fail so I have to keep repeating the steps over and over again, but some are installed and some are not.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:57 AM

If it were me, I would forget about trying to update the service pack through windows update, you will have much better luck just repeating the process through the standalone update.

Before trying to update it again, shut down your computer and let it sit for a couple of minutes before restarting it. Do not just restart the computer instead of shutting it down, do a complete shut down. I know that doesn't seem like it should make any difference to shut it down instead of just restarting, but sometimes it does.

If you are running any type of antivirus program, including Windows Defender that came with Vista, disable it before attempting to install the service pack as that can sometimes cause conflicts and keep the service pack from installing.

When you updated it through the standalone update,  did you click on the link to download the program and choose the option to save it to your computer instead of just selecting run?

If not, do that and after it downloads go to the downloaded file and double click on it to run and install it. You will probably have to run it as an Administrator. Make sure to let it do all the restarts it wants to, then when it is is all done, shut down the computer and let it be off for a couple of minutes before restarting it.

After you restart it, go to your system properties (right click on your My Computer icon and select properties) and where it shows your version of windows, look to see if it shows service pack 1. Should say something like. Windows Vista Home Premium (or whatever version of Vista you have) and then Service Pack 1. Might say Service Pack 1 directly below the version of windows.

If it does not say Service Pack 1, it did not install, so you will have to try it again.

Also, you might want to run the Norton Removal Tool before trying to install the Service Pack again.

Of course reinstalling the Norton program that came with your computer will install the outdated version and there is no point in reinstalling that. It is totally outdated and there is no reason to have it on your system, it will only cause problems. After you get your service packs installed, if you want to install Norton again, you will need to buy the current version and pay the subscription. In order to run the current version of Norton on Vista, you must have at least Service Pack 1 installed.

Please keep us updated on your progress so we can continue to try to help you.

Good Luck :)

Edited by Stang777, 04 May 2016 - 04:03 AM.

#15 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Ok, I have used the tool you provided to uninstall the Norton version. I am know trying to install the Service Pack 1 from the link you provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users