Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want more RAM, but not sure if my system can support it.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 1010220

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Hi and thanks for checking out my issue!

I have an ASUS M60J laptop.  Everyplace spec sheet I've seen tells me that the max amount of RAM my system will support is 4GB, however I was told in a forum that this may not be the case.  This is what I was told:

"After looking up your system specs, your laptop supports DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600).  At the time the manufacturer created the specs, 8GB so-dim were not likely avalable.  8GB dims will likely work, however, if you want to play it safe 4GB per dim will work per the manufacturers specs."

This person seemed very intelligent and super helpful, but it was a forum for video related matters.  So I thought it would be best to come here and see what you guys think before I buy extra RAM.  I hope he's right, because I would love to upgrade to 16GB of RAM.  Even 8GB would nice.

Thanks for you help!

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2016 - 07:19 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Hi -

Please download SPECCY from Piriform, after running for a few minutes you will see a screen with details.

Click on File (top left side) > Click Yes to Proceed to Publish > Then you get a http://.speccy.com/result ///////// result

Please Copy and Paste this result (only) in your next reply, and not pictures of the computer etc.

Thanking You..

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

Here is the bleeping tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BwJmCJzmkdSqB5WkyQQtZ0D

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

That speccy result isn't going to help guys... If the spec sheet says something different that what you believe to be the case, the only way to check is to contact the manufacturer.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

Crucial, one of the major memory manufacturers, has tool that you can download that will scan your system and tell you the current and max memory possible. They'll show you memory you can buy from their site but their's no obligation to purchase from them. You can find the memory tool here.

Works great. i've used it many times.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:51 PM

Crucial is showing 4gb but it won't hurt to check, and contact them if you need to.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/m60j

Ausus as you all know is showing 4gb

But there are people reporting using 8gb, works and is recognized, but the chips aren't designed perfectly for this application.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-m-series-memory-upgrade.514659/page-2

Intel is saying 8gb also.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43122/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-1_60-GHz#@specifications

This site is boasting some options, but I don't know any of this to be true, just providing you with some links.

https://www.ramcity.com.au/upgrade/asus/m-series-notebook/m60j/132842

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

You guys are the best!  Special thanks to PCPunk for the awesome links.  Thanks for taking time out or your day to help out a stranger.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

If you decide to try 8 gigs just make sure you order from a reputable dealer with a good return policy, that way if it doesn't work you can just return it and no harm done.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

You guys are the best!  Special thanks to PCPunk for the awesome links.  Thanks for taking time out or your day to help out a stranger.

No problem, just know that I am not that familiar with sourcing RAM, but it looks like it should work.  The only chips available seem to be over kill for the app, but they work, good luck!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

I just installed PNY 2x8GB Dual Channel PC Memory Kit for a total of 16GB RAM, and it seems to have worked somehow.  I'd like to provide a few screenies on here so that I can show you guys.  It's not apparent for some reason.  How can I do that?

#12 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

ASUS M60J with 4GB ram capacity.  I just installed 16GB and windows is recognizing it, and I'm pretty sure it's 100% functioning.  I have a few screen shots I'd like to share, but I'm a newbie on this forum and for the life of me can't figure out how to attach an image.  Anyone interested in seeing my screenies? 

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

I use 'tinypic" ....

Click on browse.......select the image you wish to upload.....then click on Upload Now...(you may have to complete a robot test.)...

you then get the opportunity to share the image....the box further down the page is entitled "direct link for layouts"

click on it so it greys the box....then right click and copy

Go to your topic page, and click on "IMAGE" (it is the 10th icon after the "bold" icon.....paste the url in the box that opens...click ok.......your image will open click on Post !...and you are done

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

It's not apparent for some reason.

Run speccy again... It may be that your laptop isn't compatible after all.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#15 1010220

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Condobloke!!

So from the images below, would you all say that my PC is definitely good with the 16GB of RAM I just added?

29wthza.png

2en9iqq.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users