Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking cursor on startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dhawk969

dhawk969

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hello,
I have a HP laptop that will boot as noted below;
1 - HP Battery Alert - states that my battery needs to be replaced
2 - HP logo screen
3 - blinking cursor in upper left corner
Any help to fix this issue? Nothing was changed prior to this happening and the battery has been bad for a while.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iAnkitkhurana

iAnkitkhurana

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:53 PM

If your computer is booting up then the problem is with Battery and you can consider getting a new one.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

What operating system are you using?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dhawk969

dhawk969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

The computer is not booting.  I just get a black screen with blinking cursor in upper left corner. I have Windows 7

#5 iAnkitkhurana

iAnkitkhurana

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Try to boot into safe mode, follow the below steps:

1. Remove all CDs and DVDs from the computer. Make sure all peripherals such as printers and USB drives are also disconnected.
  2. Press the power button to restart the computer and immediately press the f8key repeatedly.
  3. When prompted, select the Safe Mode with Networking option.
  4. Log onto the computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

If you are able to boot up then there is no issue with Windows, may be few of the unwanted software's are blocking your way through, perform clean boot once you are in safe mode.

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.
    Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or provide confirmation. 
  3. 2440068.png
  4. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
    2440069.png
  5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.2440071.png
    Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

I ask for the OS as one proceeds differently depending on the OS that you're using.

Can you access Startup Repair?  Here's a link about it:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

If you can't access Startup Repair, there's not much else to do with Windows 7.

Beyond that, the first thing to do is to backup your data.  You can do this several different ways (if the data is still present and accessible on the hard drive).

Once the data is backed up, then try these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

OR, you can use the built in hardware diagnostics if your HP has them (and if you can access them from the boot menu by tapping the Esc key as the system boots).

Then, if the diagnostics pass, you can reinstall Windows 7 by using F11 to access the recovery partition (this works for most HP's)

If the recovery partition is damaged (or the hard drive diagnostics fail the hard drive), then you'll have to use recovery disks.

If you don't have them, you can order them from HP (link is for HP owners in the US:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#hp )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dhawk969

dhawk969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

I  cannot get to the start windows in safe mode screen. Pressing F8 the computer goes straight to the black screen with blinking cursor.

I hit esc and went to windows recovery and got the blue screen of death. 

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

STOP:  0x00000074 (0x00000000000000002, 0xFFFFF88003F79B20, 0x0000000000000002, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000022)

Is this any help or is my best step to make a boot CD?

Thanks

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

Make a boot CD so you can get to Startup Repair.

Try Startup Repair and System Restore

If you can't get into Windows, you can't try a repair install - so that leaves you with a reinstallation of Windows.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users