Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading from windows 10 help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowcoil

Shadowcoil

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

Simple question I got a home job and the software only works on Windows 8 or 8.1 but I have windows 10 if I buy a oem copy from newegg will I be ok?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

It is as close to impossible as anything can be that software that runs on Windows 8 will not run on Windows 10.

I've done a lot of upgrades and worked on the machines of others who've done upgrades and have yet to see a single piece of software that runs on Windows 8 that won't work on Windows 10.

Try installing it (or reinstalling it) to verify whether it functions or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Shadowcoil

Shadowcoil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

It doesn't all it does is crash the program so would a oem copy of 8.1 be the ticket just pop it in and boot it from the cd rom first?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,601 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

If this is an OEM computer that was upgraded from Windows 8 it may have a factory restore partition that is still intact. If not you can download the Windows 8.1 media creation tool. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware. Once online the computer will self activate.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

#5 Shadowcoil

Shadowcoil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

It's not I bought it with windows 10 on it

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,601 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

See if using compatibility mode works.

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

#7 Shadowcoil

Shadowcoil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:42 PM

Well the company I'm working for say they having tech problems with the software on windows 10 and told people to downgrade to windows 8.1 so what should I do john

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,601 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

Then you will need to get an OEM license of Windows 8.1 which would be the cheapest.  I would at least try compatibility mode to see if your program runs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users