Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems with Making a System Image

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 YpologistiNoob

YpologistiNoob

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

This is my first post, and a kinda long story, so please just hold on and read on through.

I have an old(ish) HP G62 Notebook PC that I recently received with Windows 7 Home Premium, which I upgraded to Windows 10. I am trying to make it capable of dual-booting Linux off of its 450GB hard drive, and to do that I need to partition my drive. I used a program called Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free to create 2 seperate partitions on a flash drive, so that I could create a system image of my laptop on it.

I began to create the image (about 70GB) when at the 50GB mark it gave me an error about a system file missing, or not working, which forced me to shut off the imager. The flash drive now has a half complete system image.

Now when I plugin the flash drive and open file explorer it starts to slow down my computer immensly. It is impossible to reformat the drive, because it causes a NoResponding error when I click on the drive. I confirmed this by plugging it into a different laptop, which produces the same results.

A new log file also appeared in my hard drive called $SysReset. It seems that ts has some error info about the faulty system image since it's logs appear at the same time I plugged in the USB, although I have no idea if it's relevant.

C:\$SysReset\Logs\SetupAct_offline

2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         RjvStartLogging: Started logging to [C:\$SysReset\Logs\SetupAct_offline.log]
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         Entering RjvFactoryImageAvailable
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         [systemreset.exe] Enter WinReGetConfig
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         [systemreset.exe] Parameters: configWinDir: NULL
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         [systemreset.exe] WinRE config file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Recovery\ReAgent.xml
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         [systemreset.exe] WinRE is installed at: \
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         [systemreset.exe] System is WimBoot: FALSE
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         [systemreset.exe] WinRE image validated
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Info                         No OEM image specified
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Error                        Failed to query registry for ESD image index: 0x2
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Error                        Failed to search for an ESD image. Last error: 0x0
2016-04-27 20:07:16, Error                        Returning FALSE from RjvFactoryImageAvailable
2016-04-27 20:07:20, Info                         RjvStopLogging: Stopped logging to [C:\$SysReset\Logs\SetupAct_offline.log]
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         RjvStartLogging: Started logging to [C:\$SysReset\Logs\SetupAct_offline.log]
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         Entering RjvFactoryImageAvailable
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         [systemreset.exe] Enter WinReGetConfig
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         [systemreset.exe] Parameters: configWinDir: NULL
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         [systemreset.exe] WinRE config file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Recovery\ReAgent.xml
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         [systemreset.exe] WinRE is installed at: \
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         [systemreset.exe] System is WimBoot: FALSE
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         [systemreset.exe] WinRE image validated
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Info                         No OEM image specified
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Error                        Failed to query registry for ESD image index: 0x2
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Error                        Failed to search for an ESD image. Last error: 0x0
2016-04-27 20:07:24, Error                        Returning FALSE from RjvFactoryImageAvailable
2016-04-27 20:07:37, Info                         RjvStopLogging: Stopped logging to [C:\$SysReset\Logs\SetupAct_offline.log]

Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I may have to throw away the flash drive.

Which I would prefer to not do :/

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:08 AM

What happens when you right click on the drive? If you can right click on the drive then you can reformat the drive. What software did you use to create that system image? Try Macrium Reflect Free, it is a very good system image builder.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 YpologistiNoob

YpologistiNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Here is a picture of what happens when I try to left or right click on the drive (Labeled H:). It changes the cursor into a blue spinning circle and file explorer crashes. This obviously makes it impossible to format or do anything to the drive. Another thing to mention is that I named the partition on the USB for uploading the system image to WINIMAGE. It now shows USB Drive.

(The first partition has ~120GB formatted in NTFS with an allocation unit size of 8K, the second partition is unallocated/unformatted and has ~370GB.)

Attached File  500GBDriveError.PNG   62.48KB   0 downloads

As for the system imager, I used Backup and Restore (the Windows 7 version that is still on the computer) to make the system image.

I'll also give the Macrium software a try after this problem is solved.

Edited by YpologistiNoob, 28 April 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

Try using a 3rd party tool to format the drive?

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10505/~/formatting-usb-drives-with-third-party-tools

#5 YpologistiNoob

YpologistiNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

I have a third party formatter (forgot what its called, I renamed it), and it does the same thing. *3rdPartyFomatter* is not responding.

My assumption is that when I plug the USB into the computer, it detects it as a system image and messes up. Also, I have only plugged it in into 2 seperate Windows laptops, so I might try using my RasPi sice it has Linux in the hopes that it won't cause the same problem.

Edited by YpologistiNoob, 29 April 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

I use MintTool Partition to format drives;

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:03 AM

Just my 2¢, but I'd try a bootable hard drive diagnostic to test the hard drive:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

As strange as this is going to sound, with another flash drive, create a Puppy Linux usb with muscle.  With both usb drives into usb ports, boot the newly created usb stick and see if it can "see" and format the original now-problematic usb stick.  I'm thinking of having you completely bypass Windows OS for now -- to bring back your original now problematic usb stick to great working order.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Just my 2¢, but I'd try a bootable hard drive diagnostic to test the hard drive:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Good luck!

Will that work on a removable USB stick such as the OP has described?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:12 AM

Yes, but it requires a bit of work (and testing) to get it work properly.

I've used YUMI in the past to load ISO's for testing.

The other problem is with SecureBoot and CSM/legacy mode.

A lot of work there.

Another option is to use a UEFI compliant USB that boots into PE mode - and the run something like the Western Digital Data Lifeguard.

But again, it's a lot of work to get it to run.

The easiest thing is to fuss around with Secure Boot (disabling it) and enabling CSM/legacy mode.

That way you should be able to boot from a regular USB device. (that would eliminate the need for a UEFI compatible drive)

Another option is to purchase a USB DVD drive.  These are fairly inexpensive if you shop around.  But you'd still have to fuss with the UEFI stuff or work around it/

FWIW - I've done a bit of research about this and haven't found a decent solution for hard drive diagnostics yet - but am still working on it.

But I just thought about this.., Try the HP diagnostics (usually F2 on boot)

If you can't get it through F2, then use Esc to get to the boot menu - and the diagnostics should be listed there.

FYI - HP won't accept other diagnostics for warranty repairs, they insist upon their own diagnostics (and retest at the factory if you send it in).

Edited by usasma, 01 May 2016 - 07:56 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 YpologistiNoob

YpologistiNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Ok, so. I downloaded a program called UNetbootin that would allow me to directly download Puppy Linux to a USB without having to use a CD/DVD. Since I was kinda lazy, and thought it would be easier, I download the ISO (Said it was version 4.2) through the program to my flash drive. I boot off of the USB, the kernel drivers load, and then an error pops up that says:

Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives. . .

pup_420.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console. . .

/bin/sh : can't access tty; job control turned off

# _

I tried to properly shut it down from the command line, but it kept saying:

/bin/sh: **** not found.

Manually turned off laptop, checked what files Puppy Linux does have, and, the file was in the folder, but wasn't working.
I then formatted the drive (twice, just to make sure), and reinstalled a different image using the same UNetbootin program, but instead of using the "Live Image" provided from the program, I downloaded Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7 onto my desktop, and used the program to install it onto the flash drive.

This time it boots fine and so I plug in the faulty drive, I select it without freezing/crashing, and this pops up.

Attached File  USBError.png   587.8KB   0 downloads

I then use Puppy's GParted Partition Manager to format the drive. An error about there being no partition table comes up as soon as I click to format to NTFS. I try to create a partition table, since that is what it tells me to. The program then doesn't respond and freezes. I terminate the program.

Now the USB drive is undetectable on Puppy and Windows. Puppy does not give me the option to even mount the drive. On Windows as soon as I plug in the drive, File Explorer opens up and tells me to "Please insert a removable disk into drive (E:)" when the drive is already in.

I am currently looking for solutions online on how to fix this new problem. I at least assume that the incomplete system image is now gone.

Edited by YpologistiNoob, 01 May 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#12 YpologistiNoob

YpologistiNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Used a program called HDD Low Level Format 4.40 to do a low-level format. This fixed the disk so it is now usable as exFAT. When I try to format it to NTFS though, the formater on Windows freezes. When showing all the drives from Puppy Linux, it shows that drive_sdd (the problematic flash drive) is missing partition tables. I then use the Puppy formater to create an extra partition table, but the formater window becomes completely grey (it freezes). Now I have half the problem solved. I just can't seem to be able to create a partition table on the drive. Running it through the Low Level formater doesn't seem to work either.

On the other hand, when I tried to format it to NTFS with the Mini Tool Partition Wizard, it would complete and state that it has formatted successfully, but when I would click on the drive, it would ask: Please insert a disk into Removable Drive (:E) when it was already in. It also becomes unclickable unless i use the Low Level Formater which just leads to the same loop again. I have to somehow sort the partition tables (which I assume are the cause of the problem) or do something else.

Edited by YpologistiNoob, 01 May 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#13 YpologistiNoob

YpologistiNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

New Update:

Just realized that the flash drive I have is a fake.

I bought this cheap drive off of Ebay for about 8 pounds and it advertised 500GB. After doing some more research I found out that these drives are made by altering the firmware so that it appears they have hundreds of gigabytes when they only have 4 or 8. They then rewrite over any old data once their actual real physical limit has been reached, so I'm going to throw it away in the trash bin where it belongs.

I am sorry to have bothered anyone with this, but I have learned all sorts of new skills involving digital memory and formatting. Thank you very much for helping me out with this problem though!

(No wonder that drive was so stupidly cheap! I at least now have a good reason to buy a fancy new external HDD.)

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users