For several months now I’ve been getting BSOD’s caused by several different things according to Who Crashed. I have no idea what is causing the crashes, sometimes I’m playing WoW, sometimes I’m just using Outlook, other times I have no applications running.
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about 9 months ago and I haven’t added any hardware in about 6 or 7 months which was a MediaLink wireless USB adapter but I’ve since gone back to wired Ethernet and unplugged the adapter. I’m not overclocking anything and I’m only using Windows Defender for protection.
Based on other people’s BSOD issues I’ve done the following.
1. Ran Memtest86 for 10 passes with no errors at all
2. Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool with no errors
3. Ran SeaTools for Windows on my Seagate drive with the Long Generic test - no errors
4. Ran Windows Defender Long - no threats
5. Ran Malwarebytes custom scan including Rootkits - no threats
6. Ran System File Checker several times but only uncovered issues a very long time ago
7. Ran DSIM with no issues
8. Other than the AMD display drivers that I update as soon as I can there are no other drivers that are out of date that I can find.
I tried to run Verifier but it would always crash after reboot without creating a crash dump so I finally reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB drive.
Now when I use Verifier it crashes after reboot indicating that the AMD drivers atikmpag and atikmdag.sys are causing the problems. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled new drivers to no avail.
I am currently running Verifier without selecting the AMD drivers and I'm getting numerous BSODs.
My system is made up of the following
· OS – windows 10
· Original OS was Windows 7 but I’ve since reformatted the HDD and installed Windows 10 via USB
· The Windows 7 install was a full retail version but I’ve since lost the digital key (it’s packed in storage and I can’t get to it). I haven’t been able to activate this version of Windows 10
· Hardware is about 4 or 5 years old I think
· CPU – Intel i5 CPU 750 @ 2.676HZ
· Video Card – Radeon AMD HD7700
· Motherboard - Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Rev 1.0
· Power Supply – Cool Master 600W Silent Pro
· Built the PC myself
If there is a hardware problem I'd like to be able to pinpoint what it is, otherwise I'm about ready to scrap the whole system and build a new one.