Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying BSOD's using Verifier

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rhbrant

Rhbrant

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

For several months now I’ve been getting BSOD’s caused by several different things according to Who Crashed.  I have no idea what is causing the crashes, sometimes I’m playing WoW, sometimes I’m just using Outlook, other times I have no applications running.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about 9 months ago and I haven’t added any hardware in about 6 or 7 months which was a MediaLink wireless USB adapter but I’ve since gone back to wired Ethernet and unplugged the adapter.  I’m not overclocking anything and I’m only using Windows Defender for protection.

Based on other people’s BSOD issues I’ve done the following.

1.       Ran Memtest86 for 10 passes with no errors at all

2.       Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool with no errors

3.       Ran SeaTools for Windows on my Seagate drive with the Long Generic test - no errors

4.       Ran Windows Defender Long - no threats

5.       Ran Malwarebytes custom scan including Rootkits - no threats

6.       Ran System File Checker several times but only uncovered issues a very long time ago

7.       Ran DSIM with no issues

8.       Other than the AMD display drivers that I update as soon as I can there are no other drivers that are out of date that I can find.

I tried to run Verifier but it would always crash after reboot without creating a crash dump so I finally reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB drive.

Now when I use Verifier it crashes after reboot indicating that the AMD drivers atikmpag and atikmdag.sys are causing the problems.  I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled new drivers to no avail.

I am currently running Verifier without selecting the AMD drivers and I'm getting numerous BSODs.  

My system is made up of the following

·         OS – windows 10

·         X64

·         Original OS was Windows 7 but I’ve since reformatted the HDD and installed Windows 10 via USB

·         The Windows 7 install was a full retail version but I’ve since lost the digital key (it’s packed in storage and I can’t get to it).  I haven’t been able to activate this version of Windows 10

·         Hardware is about 4 or 5 years old I think

·         CPU – Intel i5 CPU 750 @ 2.676HZ

·         Video Card – Radeon AMD HD7700

·         Motherboard - Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Rev 1.0

·         Power Supply – Cool Master 600W Silent Pro

·         Built the PC myself

If there is a hardware problem I'd like to be able to pinpoint what it is, otherwise I'm about ready to scrap the whole system and build a new one.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

OK, what verifier does is it runs things that stress the drivers.  This, in theory, will cause the problem drivers to crash - and the verifier will catch the names of the drivers.

So far you've found that verifier blames your AMD drivers - now we have to figure out why.

Is it:

- hardware

- bad drivers (corrupted or buggy) - did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the new one's (that's intended to remove the corruption before installing the new ones)?

- other conflicts

The hardware is easiest to test, start with the video tests listed on this page:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Going to take a break here - have to feed my dogs and cats.....

Will be back soon

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F14) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Please turn Driver Verifier off.  It's purpose is to generate BSOD's so you can identify a particular driver- but it's apparent that it's not identifying any one driver.

I have to wonder if this is a hardware problem or not (due to verifier still being on).  Which of the diagnostics on your system have you run recently - and did they all pass?

Please run these free diagnostics (if you haven't done so already):  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

Debug session time: Wed Apr 27 14:00:24.867 2016 (UTC - 4:00)
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\042716-27484-01.dmp]
Built by: 10586.212.amd64fre.th2_release_sec.160328-1908
System Uptime: 0 days 0:22:22.673
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExFreePool+37 )
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80367423682, ffffd00021d3e7e0, 0}
BugCheck Info: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
Bugcheck code 0000003B
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff80367423682, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: ffffd00021d3e7e0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  MsMpEng.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x3B_VRF_nt!ExFreePool
MaxSpeed:     2670
CurrentSpeed: 2665
BiosVersion = F14
BiosReleaseDate = 09/16/2010
SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = P55A-UD4P
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
The rest of the memory dump summaries are hidden in the Spoiler tag below.  Click on "Show" to reveal them.

Spoiler

AtihdWT6.sys                Tue Jul  7 21:28:10 2015 (559C7CAA)
RtNdPt630.sys               Thu Sep 26 05:59:17 2013 (52440575)
atikmdag.sys                Mon Mar 21 10:19:43 2016 (56F002FF)
atikmpag.sys                Mon Mar 21 09:45:33 2016 (56EFFAFD)
intelppm.sys                Thu Oct 29 22:09:51 2015 (5632D16F)
rt640x64.sys                Thu Jan  7 02:48:31 2016 (568E184F)

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AtihdWT6.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RtNdPt630.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys

Edited by usasma, 28 April 2016 - 03:54 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rhbrant

Rhbrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the response and reviewing this for me.  I turned off Verifier.

I had already run Memtest for 10 passes error free.

I downloaded and ran FurMark, it ran for 35 minutes, the temp never got over 76c and I never saw any issues.

I ran an extensive test for my second HDD and it ran error free until it was just about finished and then I got one of the BSOD’s

I checked windows update and there was only one available from about 2 weeks ago and surprisingly it was for AMD so I updated my PC a few hours ago and I’ve had 2 more BSOD’s since then.

The drivers that you listed are all current except for the Intelppm.sys.  I downloaded the program from Intel to find and update my drivers but it errors out every time it tries to install the driver that’s out of date.

My bios is the most current for this board from Gigabyte, I had checked the version a few times on their website.  Looking at the release date of that version I forgot how old this board is and I bought the GPU, power supply, RAM, HDD, and processor at the same time.  It might be in my best interest to just put together a new system.  If the GPU, RAM, processor or board fails at any time in the near future I’ll have to do that anyway.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

A 2010 BIOS is awfully old for a system that's trying to deal with W8/10 OS's.

These OS's communicate with the BIOS much more than did previous versions of Windows (W7 and earlier).

This may/may not be a problem - but the "test" is to install W7 (or earlier) and see if you have the same problems.

So, we can continue to work on this until you decide if it's worth the trouble or not.

Please zip up and upload the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump directory.

If you can't zip it up, try copying it to your Desktop and zipping it up there.

You also may want to try the HDD test on the 2nd drive again.

See if it BSOD's again - and if it does it in about the same place.

Or, just disconnect the second drive (temporarily for testing) and see if that helps things out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users