Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Replacing old laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darthandy

darthandy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting so I hope I don't mess anything up! I'm an old guy looking to replace an Acer Aspire 5920G that is on its last legs. This beast had a Core 2 duo T5550 1.83Ghz cpu so I'm not used to blazing speed, as it were.

Laptop or Desktop?

Desktop, this time - the wife has a new laptop so one in the house is plenty.

My budget for the new computer is:

Around $500 Cdn

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

Email, Facebook, News, photos and working with the photos, music and some gaming .

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Windows 10, MS office 2000, MS Digital Image Photo Software, various Serif software (Photo, etc.) , Windows Movie Maker, Hitman game series, some older flight simulators (If they work in Windows 10)

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

As mentioned above.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Usually one or two windows max. On rare occasions there may be 4 or 5.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yes, several hundred photos, songs and a few home movies (Not the commercial stuff.)

Will you be overclocking?

No - don't even know how.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Staples - online at www.staples.ca

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Just the one.

Do you need peripherals? OS?

No, I'll be going with what I have - wireless mouse and keyboard, Acer 22 in. flatscreen monitor, Canon MX922 all in one printer.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

The old laptop is done. I want to replace it before it send up a puff of smoke, a screech and goes blank.

I'm looking at three refurbished units at Staples. One is an HP Elite 8200 and the other is a Dell GX790 Optiplex. Here are links to the two models.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Dell-Tower-Model-GX790-Intel-Core-I5-2400-3-1Ghz-8Gb-Ram-1TB-HDD-DVD-RW-Windows-7-Professional-64Bit-Refurbished/product_1699864_2-CA_1_20001

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Elite-Tower-Model-8200-Intel-Core-I5-2400-3-1Ghz-6GB-Ram-1TB-HDD-DVD-RW-Windows-7-Professional-64Bit-Refurbished/product_1699844_2-CA_1_20001

http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Z400-Refurbished-Desktop-2-4GHz-Intel-XEON-W3503-6GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-DVDRW-Windows-7-Pro/product_2093927_2-CA_1_20001

As can be seen, the specs are very similar for the HP 8200 and the GX790. The Z400 is dual core and a bit slower clock but it comes (Surprisingly) with a 475 W power supply (The others have about 300W). As all of them have difficult to upgrade power supplies, the Z400 would have a better chance of handling an upgrade to a half decent video card if I want  go that way. All are tower units so if I do want to upgrade or add parts at some point, there should be enough room..

So - what does everyone think? I looked at building one but the parts to even duplicate these would run at least $900 Cdn so that is out for now - funds are a bit too tight. The only other expense I'm looking at is the 2 yr. service plan since these guys only come with a 90 day warranty - not enough for a refurbished machine, I think.

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

Even if PSU is 475W, it's low quality and so shouild be changed anyway if you are planning to try with good graphic card.

For upgrading, OEM machines are usually nightmare. Even 40 dollar case usually makes upgrade much easier. Also OEM machines always come with some kind of surprises. They don't always matter but still.

From those offerings, I recommend Dell. And I still did not undestand what you are really looking? You can spend 900 Cdn and those cost much less. Staples does not offer components but you probably can get new machine from parts with that 900 Cdn elsewhere.

#3 darthandy

darthandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the reply but you may have misunderstood my point. I am not spending $900. I was just pointing out what building a machine similar to the ones listed would cost me, which is an amount I can't afford to spend just now. While I realize the OEM machines don't use the best of parts, I won't be subjecting them to "heavy duty" use. And given the fact that they are aimed at corporate users, I would like to think they are still reasonably decent computers. The people I know who have bought similar units have been quite happy with them. I am aware that they can be difficult to upgrade but that is usually because some parts are proprietary. Looking at my budget right now, these are what I can afford and I was wondering if one of them was measurably better than the others or if one model has known problems.

Andy

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

For those I would pick Dell just looking at specs because 2*4 GB memory is much better than 4+2 GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users