Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intel wireless n2230 drops constantly

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 mabelle

mabelle

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hi

I hope someone can help me, this problem has been ongoing since the first day i bought it in 2012 december.

the wifi disconnects to a 'limited' state. upon checking the device manager, the wireless adaptor is disabled. so i enable it and it gets back on again but no sooner is it on, it drops again. in 2014 i got dell tech to replace a new wifi card. on the spot, he too see how the new card didnt solve the problem. he nevertheless still left with the problem unsolved.

recently the problem got very bad to a point it disconnects almost right away when i connect it back. i googled and found theres tonnes of issue with this wireless n2230. i came across a solution (disabling bluetooth). it worked for a day but the same thing came back after.

i have done all sorts. factory reset, disabling and re-enabling, update windows and browsers and everything i can think of, its updated. im currently on win8, i do not know what other info i need to provide. i hope someone can help me im on the verge of smashing it out the window

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 April 2016 - 12:32 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

My first question would be if you have upgraded to Windows 8.1. If not that would be the first thing I would do.

If you have 8.1 then I am assuming it is 64bit.

What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

like indicated, im on win 8, n i really dont intend to do 8.1
dell inspiron 5420

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

Windows 8 is no longer getting any security updates and you are leaving yourself open to malware that attacks it's vulnerabilities. 

That being said I would try the download here.

Windows 8, 64bit

Language: English

Size: 104.02 MB

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/24863/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-8-?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F24863%2Feng%2FWireless_17.16.0_e64.exe

#5 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

does that update make up for the lack of security to the win8

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

No, you need to updated to 8.1 through the store and then run Windows Update to get all your post 8.1 security updates.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/01/13/windows-8-loss-of-support.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 April 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#7 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

and thats why i never liked windows. that is irresponsible. my concern is, that 8/8.1 is not the main solution to the wireless issue, despite the fact that the security of my system is also equally important. but id still like to know what is causing the wireless to disable on its own

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

Windows 8 had connectivity issues that are supposedly resolved in 8.1.

First, try the following commands at an elevated command prompt. Hold the Windows key and X key. Select command prompt as admin

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

If the problem  is not resolved follow this guide and if there is no improvement download and install the driver I linked to.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN180868/EN

#9 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

Thank you for the link and advice. ive installed the link u gave me earlier.. monitoring if the drop persists... meanwhile ive just done the two dos commands and about to reboot.. brb

#10 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:29 PM

i forgot to inform earlier.. everytime it drops and i troubleshoot it, the resolution was "default gateway not available: FIXED"

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

Have you every restarted your modem and router? Hopefully the updated driver solves the problem.

Also on your wireless adapter in Device Manger uncheck allow windows to turn off this device to save power if shown as checked. Right click the wireless adapter. Select Properties. It will be under the Power Management tab.

#12 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

the router n modem were switched off/on often... yes the power save thing was long unchecked. i had literally covered all these basics. so far no drops since rebooted but im not holding my breath..yet. it took a day to drop again the other day after i thought the solution was to disable everything in network under device mgr except intel n2230..so im hoping this time ur the saviour

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

There are a couple of extra things to try but I will not post those unless you post back the problem is still there. I would highly recommend you update to 8.1 though especially if you do online purchases and banking.

#14 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

i am seriously considering 8.1 , only after i backup my files. i just dont know if 8.1 would resurface more issues with my current stuff i use often

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

For doing a complete disk image to an external drive I recommend Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper. Both let you create bootable rescue media which would allow you to restore the image in case the computer no longer boots. After the upgrade you find 8.1 running fine then do another disk image backup of 8.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users