Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not identifying anything in the Ethernet socket?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 olly29

olly29

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

Hey guys, 

I've been having trouble connecting my computer via an ethernet cable. I have been using wireless for some time now and have decided to switch to ethernet, but my computer won't recognise the cable. 

I've already tested the cable on numerous laptops/desktops and it's working fine.
I read somewhere that I should reinstall the network adaptor under device manager (which was called AR9285) which I successfully did but still no fix.

I have tried disabling the wireless in Network and Sharing centre while having the ethernet cable connected and still won't recognise it (Also went into advanced settings to see if I could prioritise a LAN connection over wireless but wireless was the only connection available).

To test the actual ethernet port, I plugged in a network adaptor to the socket and it won't recognise that either (The socket light won't light up for both on the computer end but does on the modem). 

Is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot this or does it come down to the motherboard port being faulty and need replacing? 

Thanks in advance guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

The AR9285 is a wireless chipset.

Is there anything else listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

What is the make and model of the computer? 

#3 olly29

olly29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hey thanks for the reply guys,

Yes the AR9285 is the only thing listed under 'Network Adaptors', however there are 4 yellow exclamations listed under 'Other Devices' which are: Ethernet controller, PCI simple communications controller, SM Bus controller and video controller.

I'm using a Gigabyte Z68M-D2H motherboard (I'm also using a PCI-express wireless card for wireless if that matters)

Thanks again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,441 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

This may be a chipset driver issue alone or chipset and Ethernet driver. 

What is the OS and is it 32bit or 64bit?

Edit: From your MB support page it looks like the chipset and Ethernet drivers will need to be installed but I need the OS and if it is 32bit or 64bit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 April 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#5 olly29

olly29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

I'm using windows 7 64 bit. Also, I should add that I don't get a light in the actual ethernet port either when I plug something into it.

Thanks again

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,441 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

I don't believe you will get a light if Windows does not detect the device. It's possible it is disable in UEFI/BIOS but first try the Ethernet driver.

Realtek LAN Driver 7.088.0617.2014 3.67 MB 2015/04/16

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_lan_realtek_8111_w7.exe

Here is your support page. You can verify the above driver by selecting Driver in the first dropdown box and Windows 7 64bit in the second.

After downloading and installing the above driver, can you access the internet with Ethernet? If you can the next drivers to install would be the ones listed under chipset.

Intel INF installation

Intel Management Engine Interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users