Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Crashed - Boots to a Black Screen/blinking cursor, locked

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bbjack

bbjack

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:21 AM

This has been very frustrating. I'm pretty sure this happened a day or 2 after I used ccleaner's registry cleaner (yes I know I shouldn't have). My computer would start kind of lagging up and being slightly noisey. Then a blue screen appeared briefly with some wording before crashing. Now it just boots to a black screen with the blinking line in the top left. Sometimes when restarting it, I'd get an error about windows having a problem with a boot file

Things I've tried:

Downloaded the tool here to a flash drive: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

- Did the Troubleshoot > reset this pc > keep my files but it says "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again". I've done lots of research on unlocking it with some commands in the command prompt, tried again and was able to start the process. But it hung at 1% and failed. Haven't been able to get that fair again...

- System restore option says "to use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore. restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select system restore"

- Under troubleshoot > advanced options  > command prompt ....the spot is x:\Sources>

Some kind of headway and help would be amazing. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

It sounds like your computer might be trying to boot from a drive that does not have your OS installed. Do you have any flash drives plugged in or even a CD/DVD in your disc drive? Make sure no other drive is attached then try to boot into Windows. If that doesn't work then try going into the BIOS and seeing if the hard drive is even being recognized.

#3 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

No, I have all usb's empty and no disc in the drive. Unless I'm booting from the usb flash drive. a SATA is recognized as the 1st boot device.

Well, now when booting, the black scren just gives me the "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Edited by bbjack, 27 April 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

No, I have all usb's empty and no disc in the drive. Unless I'm booting from the usb flash drive. a SATA is recognized as the 1st boot device.

Well, now when booting, the black scren just gives me the "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I fixed a similar issue on my computer by formatting, and reinstalling Windows.

#5 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

I fixed a similar issue on my computer by formatting, and reinstalling Windows.

So, using my flash drive, I should just remove everything and reinstall.. And have no choice but to lose all my files?

#6 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

I can't access the hard drive in any way. Trying to save the files..

1zeclev.jpg

#7 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

Wait I'm a little confused now. Are you trying to get the files off of your flash drive because you can't access them in Windows, or off of your hard drive because you can't boot into Windows? From that picture it looks like you are able to boot into Windows, so I am assuming there is not issue with your hard drive?

#8 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

Wait I'm a little confused now. Are you trying to get the files off of your flash drive because you can't access them in Windows, or off of your hard drive because you can't boot into Windows? From that picture it looks like you are able to boot into Windows, so I am assuming there is not issue with your hard drive?

What you see in the picture is me booting windows with a disc to try to repair/recover. I can't do anything though. I opened notepad in the command prompt to see if I could see my drives/files but it acts like nothing is there. I ran some bootrec commands and they say the device is not ready, etc.

#9 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Ok makes sense. I would try doing one of two things, either you could try to connect the hard drive to another computer if you have one laying around and seeing if that recognizes it, or you could also create a bootable flash drive with some flavor of Linux. That way you can just get your files off of that hard drive then just wipe it away and reinstall windows.

#10 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Ok makes sense. I would try doing one of two things, either you could try to connect the hard drive to another computer if you have one laying around and seeing if that recognizes it, or you could also create a bootable flash drive with some flavor of Linux. That way you can just get your files off of that hard drive then just wipe it away and reinstall windows.

I have a laptop here temporarily. That's it. The BIOS does show SATA:SM-ST31000524AS as a boot option.

I downloaded ubuntu to a disc to try to run a live version of that but I got errors on a black screen.

#11 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

I have ubuntu running on it from the disc (not installed) none of my old files or anything are here though. Really mostly don't know what I'm doing.

#12 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Ok if you have a laptop I would recommend purchasing a set of cables that make it so you can read the hard drive via USB. Using Ubuntu for the first time might be kinda intimidating but I'm sure its possible. I would first start though with purchasing a connector for the hard drive. This is the one I have and its worked so far: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02

If you don't want to buy anything then I would recommend trying to use a Linux platform. Another great tool is Hirens Boot CD. You could try burning that to a CD and see what you can read with it.

#13 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

Ok if you have a laptop I would recommend purchasing a set of cables that make it so you can read the hard drive via USB. Using Ubuntu for the first time might be kinda intimidating but I'm sure its possible. I would first start though with purchasing a connector for the hard drive. This is the one I have and its worked so far: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02

If you don't want to buy anything then I would recommend trying to use a Linux platform. Another great tool is Hirens Boot CD. You could try burning that to a CD and see what you can read with it.

I'll try Hirens boot CD right now. As for using a Linux platform, what are my steps to access my old files? Like I said, I'm running Ubuntu right now from the disc (I kinda dig it) but my files from my hard drive are nowhere in here.

In BIOS, I can see the hard drive as a boot option, but literally no other way to see it or access it.

#14 bbjack

bbjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

I ran Hirens boot CD as well. Tried mini windows xp (no hard drive). Also tried parted magic with Hirens boot CD.. Again.. My hard drive wasn't in there.. No files. I think just the CD drive and that crap.

#15 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:56 AM

Is the hard drive detected in BIOS at all?

Hiren's Mini WinXP and or mini Linux can be picky if SATA is set to AHCI mode in bios. You need to set it to IDE for the drives to be visible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users