Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor or TV?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

So I talked to this geek who told me I should get a TV (HDMI) instead of a monitor.

I need something with speakers as the speakers I purchased when I first moved to this country sounded terrible & it may be the echo in the room/apt.

She said she thinks the speakers that had a sub woofer were too powerful & so I should get a TV that has speakers.

Then today someone said don't do that, the resolution will be terrible.

I'm on a tight budget, so what do you think?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

It depends on your viewing distance from the TV. If you are going to be far enough away, you won't notice the bad resolution. If you are going to be within two feet, it you might notice bad resolution.

Additionally, if you play any games, TVs are not ideal for gaming setups as they have much more sluggish response rates than most monitors.

She said she thinks the speakers that had a sub woofer were too powerful & so I should get a TV that has speakers.

No such thing as "too powerful" speakers: you can always tone the volume down. TVs, at least in my country, have crap speakers these days. I would try software solutions with the speakers before you start changing things, especially if you're on a tight budget. Do you have make and model # info on them?

I assume from your title you will be purchasing either a monitor or TV?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for responding.

It's going on my desk, so yes, it will be VERY close & I'm not a gammer, so I don't see that being a problem, but I do like clean resolution. 

So the TV is out then <sigh>.

I returned the speakers already back in Dec., & since I didn't buy them online, I don't remember the model number, but I think these are it... http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Speaker-System-Z323-Subwoofer/dp/B002FU5QM0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1461764946&sr=8-10&keywords=logitech+speakers

The issue is that all of the apartments here are made with stone. That's the walls, floors, ceiling, etc. There's no insulation either.

While I have a desk & chair & some plastic containers in my office (the 2nd bedroom), that didn't help with the sound bouncing off the walls. I even bought a tiny shaggy rug & that didn't help (some people told me to.)

The sound was tinny even when I lowered the sub woofer, so that doesn't solve the problem.

So now I don't know what to do, b/c I need to be able to hear :(

She said that I should buy speakers that are cheap & have no sub woofer.

I won't be using them for watching TV (I do that on my other computer & have had to put up with using a headset where everything sounds great), but it would be nice to solve this bloody problem once & for all so maybe I can buy speakers to watch TV WITHOUT having to use a headset.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Tinny is a whole different problem... I assumed it was a bass overload from what you were describing. I agree with the "cheap speakers" suggestion if you are on a tight budget, but note that they may sound slightly tinny too, depending on your sensitivity to audio subtleties. I use headphones all the time, so I unfortunately cannot make specific recommendations.

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

Tinny is a whole different problem... I assumed it was a bass overload from what you were describing. I agree with the "cheap speakers" suggestion if you are on a tight budget, but note that they may sound slightly tinny too, depending on your sensitivity to audio subtleties. I use headphones all the time, so I unfortunately cannot make specific recommendations.

Maybe it wasn't tinny, it's hard to describe. It didn't sound full bodied or like it was coming from both speakers even though sounds was coming from both.

Thanks

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

Perhaps the balance was off? I don't know, just tossing ideas here.

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:35 AM

If you mean on the sub woofer, I had it in the middle.

I guess I'll just have to see with the next set of speakers.

My issue now is finding a monitor, as the ones here are name brands I've never heard of before & I don't know which one to pick.

Granted, the one for my current desktop is called a "Sense" & it's ok. Not great, but good enough. The problem is I'm having it delivered, so I'm not going to see it before I buy it.

Edited by ep2002, 30 April 2016 - 02:36 AM.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

I would just do research on the specific model numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users