Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Neeed Help Changing ''shut Down'' To ''turn Off''

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Fayt

Fayt

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Probally just a small problem, but I recently just fixed my computer, and when we got it back, everytime I turn on the computer, I have to log in. I was wondering how I could change it so that I automatically get directed to the desktop instead of having to log in when I turn my comp. on.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

Before you do that, are there other people who can get to your computer and perhaps do it damage? If so, I would keep it to a log in status.

If NOT, here is what you need to do:

Open Control Panel then User Accounts. Click on your account and change it from a log-in type. I can't be more specific on this last part right now as I am using a public computer - one has to be an administrator in order to change user account settings.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

Ah thanks very much. ^_^

But when I go to User accounts, it just has change the picture or change the password. No change the log in.

Edited by Fayt, 05 August 2006 - 11:53 PM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

You're Welcome.

And :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:13 AM

Make sure you're logged on as Adminstrator.

Go to the control panel and oper the "User Accounts" console.

Select your account, click "Remove Password" or click cahnge password and set it to a blank password.

(Note, this may not work if you have more than one account other than Adminstrator)

Download the TweakUI utility from Microsoft to control which account automatically logs on, as well as buckets of other useful tweaks.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:22 AM

Thanks Amazing Andrew :thumbsup: ,

I couldn't give Fayt that information when I posted earlier, :flowers: because I was (and still am) on a public terminal where I am blocked from the User Account screen as I am on a Limited Account here.

Fayt, Andrew's right: just remove password or change it to blank and you won't have to log in anymore.

Didn't know about that TweakUI utility before.

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

p.s. Amazing Andrew: I like your rabbit avatar.

Orange Blossom

#7 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for welcoming me ^_^

I stilll have to log in without a password though. You just click OK and it logs in. So anyone got a link for this...thing? >_>

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

What is your operating system? You need to be sure that you get the correct utility for your system.

Also, do you have more than one account on the computer? That may be why you still have to 'log in'.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 August 2006 - 01:05 AM.

Orange Blossom

#9 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

What do you mean by operating system?
And nope no other accounts on this comp, except the guest one, and that's turned off.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:11 AM

If you are using Windows XP and sign in with an administrator account
You should have three choices when you click on User Accounts:

Change an account
Create an account
Change the way users log on or off

Choose the third option - change the way users log on or off

Put a checkmark in "Use the welcome screen"
You can also check "Fast user switching" if you are going to have to change accounts occasionally (which you should as you should not use an admin account while surfing the net)

Click "Apply Options"

If you use a password you can either delete it, thereby requiring no password, or you can set the computer to remember your password.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:15 AM

Examples of operating systems:

Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
Windows XP SP2 Professional Edition
Red Hat
Linux
Windows 2000
Windows ME
and so forth

The operating system is essentially the heart of the computer. Without it, you don't have an operating computer, just a box, monitor, keyboard, mouse and whatever else you have hooked up to it sitting and staring at you with a blank screen.

For the utility in question, you might take a look at this PCWorld page . Note: I am not endorsing any of these products, it is simply what I have found thus far searching for the TweakUI utility. I drew a relative blank on the Microsoft page. Amazing Andrew is likely able to assist you more in directing you to the exact location you need to be as he is obviously familiar with that utility. I'm not. However, when I was on the Microsoft page, the TweakUI utility that I found did not indicate that it worked with Windows XP. The page I found at least discusses the utility to a certain degree.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 August 2006 - 01:34 PM.

Orange Blossom

#12 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:18 AM

Client Services for Netware has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. TO restore these features you must install Client Services for Netware.

^

This thing apears.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

Don't install it! That sounds like a potential malware or spyware wanting to get in.

It also sounds as if something may have gotten into your system, or did not get completely out of your system. You did say you just got it back?

What kind of security systems do you have?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 August 2006 - 01:22 AM.

Orange Blossom

#14 Fayt

Fayt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

Uh McAfree, Ad Aware and that's about it.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

Is this a computer that is/was part of a domain or a network in a business?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users