Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Copy Paste an iso File

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hey guys,

I wanted to backup an Official Windows W8.1 iso of from a Folder in my Downloads Directory to a new USB that I plan on transferring all my files to eventually.  I already Copied two W7 iso's to it, but cannot get this one to work.  I assumed I had named the Folders Improperly, so changed the names but still nothing.  The first few times realized that there was a ( . ) in the title of the Folder names, because I had copied them from the iso to save time and forgot to remove it.  I've attempted to copy the place of the file and the destination for all to see, and have tried this six times now, and every time tried to do something different with the Folder names.  See in Bold where I changed the Folders from having a Period to a Dash.  I'm guessing this is somehow a problem.

/home/chris/Downloads/Win8-1-English-x64-iso/ - This is where it resides.
/media/chris/G-S75-64GB/Windows-8-1-English-64bit-iso/  -This is where I want it Copied to.

Also, there is a Word doc in the same folder, if that matters?

CopyPasteW-83_zpsujbfgfar.png

Edited by pcpunk, 26 April 2016 - 05:45 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Seventh time

Renamed Source Folder in Downloads to "Windows 8-1 ISO", because that was similar to what I did with the Windows 7 iso's.  Then Copied to the USB, and not a Folder on USB.  This is what I got again.

Feel so stupid, done this many times before?

CopyPasteW-84_zpsxntri8co.png

Edited by pcpunk, 26 April 2016 - 06:09 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

I guess my question would be do your Win 7 iso actually work?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

This time I removed from "Windows 8-1 ISO" Folder and just tried to Click Drag it from Downloads to USB "Copy", but the same thing happens?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Is there some possibility that the file is damaged in some way....would this cause the problem you are having...??

Is there any sense in re downloading the file, and directing the download to the USB  ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

Is there some possibility that the file is damaged in some way....would this cause the problem you are having...??

Is there any sense in re downloading the file, and directing the download to the USB  ?

The SHA is good.

Don't always have good luck downloading to a USB, and it is a large iso, don't want to download again.  Don't even know if I can still get it.  

All is not lost, but want to save it off my small HDD to save space, and to keep it around for future use.  Only have 80GB HDD and it is full all the time, well not full.  Had to ditch other iso's recently to gain some space, might ditch more soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

It could be a permissions issue.

With the USB that you are trying to save the ISO to plugged in and mounted, what is the output of:
ls -l /media/chris/
Also with the USB plugged in and mounted, try:
cp /home/chris/Downloads/Win8-1-English-x64-iso/nameoffile /media/chris/G-S75-64GB/Windows-8-1-English-64bit-iso/nameoffile
...swapping "nameoffile" for the name of the file.

Post any error messages you get.

Edited by Al1000, 27 April 2016 - 05:25 AM.

#8 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

You may simply be running out of space on the target

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

You may simply be running out of space on the target

Hahahahha, I'm not that sharp because of health problems but I think this one has been thought of lol.  Just a friendly Jab mremski, it is a brand new 64GB Lexar S75 with two iso's on it of the W7 variety.

@Al, will follow up with that when on Linux Box tonight.

One thing that was a question for me - and probably don't matter - This is a Windows iso downloaded to a Linux Box.  The first two were downloaded to my W7 machine, then transferred to the USB in question?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hey, I had to make sure.  There's a reason why the first question Customer Support asks:

Is the power turned on?

As for your second part, in theory that should not matter.  But it may relate to some of Al's questions that relate to permissions.  Linux pays more attention to who can do what than Windows does, so the permissions may simply not allow you to read/write something. 

:)

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

If permissions are an issue, use the terminal and sudo.

sudo cp 'file' 'destination'

That should take care of any permission issues. Or any issues with it not wanting to copy via the GUI interfaces for whatever reason.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#12 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

Dumb question:  Is your USB formated to fat32?

If so, then your maximum single file size is 4GB.  The ISO is probably bigger than that, so it won't copy.

Tuppence,

Naught.

#13 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

Just checking, you are trying to move it to the USB, not burn it to it right?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:40 PM

Dumb question:  Is your USB formated to fat32?

If so, then your maximum single file size is 4GB.  The ISO is probably bigger than that, so it won't copy.

Tuppence,

Naught.

I think Naught wins the prize!  The file is 4.0, 4,320,526,336

I remember thinking that is a big file, but totally forgot about file size, and, it said 4.0 somewhere during download.  I wonder if an actual 4GB File can be Copied to fat32, or would it need to be a little smaller?

Should/Can I make USB NTFS to keep bigger files on it or are USB's limited to FAT?

Is it possible to download a file like this to NTFS, because I had troubles downloading it to my Windows Box?  From what I read it is certainly possible if I understand correctly.

@Al000, don't know if this is needed now Al, but here it is.

chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA:~ > ls -l /media/chris/
total 32  What does this mean? total 32?
drwx------ 3 chris chris 32768 Dec 31  1969 G-S75-64GB
chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA:~ > 

Thanks everyone for adding suggestions!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

I think Naught wins the prize!  The file is 4.0, 4,320,526,336

I remember thinking that is a big file, but totally forgot about file size, and, it said 4.0 somewhere during download.

Mind telling us where you downloaded this ISO from?  Something doesn't look right.  I have Windows 8.1 ISOs too.  On my own system, Windows 8.1 32-bit ISO weighs in at 3.1 GB (3,076,220,928 bytes) while the 64-bit version is 3.5 GB (3,532,521,472 bytes).  These are the figures shown in Linux.  In Windows, they would be even smaller, i.e. 2.86 GB and 3.29 GB respectively, because of how binary conversion works.

I wonder if an actual 4GB File can be Copied to fat32, or would it need to be a little smaller?

Should/Can I make USB NTFS to keep bigger files on it or are USB's limited to FAT?

I don't understand what you mean by "smaller" and "bigger" but you may want to read about why flash drives still use FAT32... http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs

Is it possible to download a file like this to NTFS, because I had troubles downloading it to my Windows Box?  From what I read it is certainly possible if I understand correctly.

I don't know why you had trouble downloading a big ISO in Windows but it should make no difference whether you downloading in Windows or Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users