Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front usb connectors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ArrDee

ArrDee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hi, all

First time I have built a computer, and I have a problem! I bought a no-name case and I have a cable from the front of the case with 8 separate connectors marked 'vcc' 'port1+' 'port1-' 'gnd' and the same with 'port2' etc. On the board I have a 19 pin connector marked usb3. The board is an ASRock H18M-HDS R2.0. The book shows the board connector, and down one side, each pin is named individually, 'vbus' 'intA-PA-SSRX-' IntA-PA-SSRX+' 'GND' the next four pins are similar with SSTX, the last two on that side end with D- and D+. On the other side, almost the same, except it is "PB" and the last pin is labelled "dummy" (probably refering to me!!). Do these pins correspond and how do I connect them?

Edited by ArrDee, 26 April 2016 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

If you only have 8 wires coming from the two front USB ports it means your no-name case's front USB ports are USB 2.0 and not 3.0. You will not be able to use the USB 3.0 19pin header on the motherboard for the front USB ports on the case.

Look through your motherboard manual and see if it has USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard. Did you transpose the numbers of the motherboard I could only find reference to H81M and not H18M. If it is a H81M see page 11 of the quick setup guide for your USB 2.0 headers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 April 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#3 ArrDee

ArrDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thank you, JohnC_21, yes, it is a H81M, sorry. Yes, the board does have two usb 2.0 points. How do I connect them, and how does usb 2 differ physically from usb3? I assumed it was speed of transfer, and the actual plugs were the same.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

USB 3.0 is much faster then USB 2.0. Look at page 11 of the quick start guide. It shows the connection locations of the USB headers. Each header supports two USB 2.0 ports. 

Vcc is your USB_power as shown on page 11. Port 1+ and Port 1- are P+ and P- respectively on page 11. Gnd is Ground. You will notice there is no pin in the lower right. This gives you orientation when looking at the motherboard. 

#5 ArrDee

ArrDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

Got it, thanks for your help, much appreciated. I have a card reader plugged into one of the usb2 headers I didn't know that one header would take two usb ports. Cheers

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

If you ever intend on using the USB 3.0 header you can purchase a front panel with the cable if your case has the available slot. They are available as both floppy size and full size panels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-20-Pin-Front-Panel-Hub-2-Port-Expansion-Bay-Bracket-Cable-for-PC-BL-P5S3-/301864016316

#7 ArrDee

ArrDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

That's probably a better option than the usb2 ports, they are significantly faster.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

You would be amazed on how much faster USB 3.0 is over USB 2.0 but it is still lower then advertised USB 3 speeds.

http://www.embedded.com/design/connectivity/4437961/USB-3-0-vs-USB-2-0--A-quick-reference-summary-for-the-busy-engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users