Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI Problem. Please help . HDMI via OBD 2 cable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chriek707

chriek707

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

So my HDMI cable has never had a problem with it I run it to my Samsung 60 inch flat screen I took my laptop over to a friend's house and plugged in a HDMI via OBD 2 scanner it was a cable that has HDMI on one end and the OBD 2 plug into a car and ever since then my TV won't recognize my laptop but the screen flashes like how it used to flash when I went to the display settings and selected object to a second screen that used to always work fine no problems ever I have restore my computer deleted OBD scanner software install a driver for the TV try to everything I only had the cable plug in for maybe 30 seconds nothing happened it didn't even I'm Reed multiple times . i even reset TV. uninstalled/ reinstalled drivers. updated. i Tried it all that i know. Someone that knows more please help.

The HDMI cable to OBD2  was only in for 30 seconds and nothing happened to i unplugged it. Thn i just use a blutooth OBD2 to diagnose car. But i uninstalled that software too.

ASUS laptop windows 8.1 

60" samsung smart TV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

I would not have thought there would be any point in connecting HDMI (a digital audio &video connection) to an OBD2 diagnostic data socket.

But OBD2 sockets on a car include a 12v DC supply, so I suspect you may have destroyed the HDMI output on your laptop by connecting it to 12v DC.

Edited by rqt, 26 April 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#3 chriek707

chriek707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

Yes i did not want to plug in but guy talked me into it. Now im mad.  So How to i fix? get new laptop ? replace HDMI or be cheaper/ easier to buy new computer

#4 chriek707

chriek707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

I would not have thought there would be any point in connecting HDMI (a digital audio &video connection) to an OBD2 diagnostic data socket.

But OBD2 sockets on a car include a 12v DC supply, so I suspect you may have destroyed the HDMI output on your laptop by connecting it to 12v DC.

So do you know what i need to fix/ replace? and how hard would it be? Or u think i ruined the board?

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

This decision will be greatly influenced by the age / specification / condition of the laptop, but the HDMI output is probably part of the laptop main board, so unless you can obtain one of these cheaply & fit it yourself it will probably be more cost effective to replace the laptop.

#6 chriek707

chriek707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

This decision will be greatly influenced by the age / specification / condition of the laptop, but the HDMI output is probably part of the laptop main board, so unless you can obtain one of these cheaply & fit it yourself it will probably be more cost effective to replace the laptop.

okay thanks. i know only $200 for new laptop at wal mart. It just a ASUS windows 8 about 4 years old. thanks tho

#7 chriek707

chriek707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

But when i plug HDMI cable in my screen turns off and on just like it used to do. So if i burnt it out wouldnt it not flash. And it also reads the  TV. as generic monitor 

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Your laptop HDMI output may be damaged but not totally destroyed.

I would suggest that, if possible,  you try your laptop with a different HDMI display & cable to see if that works any better. Also check the TV with another HDMI device plugged in to the cable & socket you have been using for the laptop, just to make sure the TV socket & the cable are still working correctly.

#9 chriek707

chriek707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

Your laptop HDMI output may be damaged but not totally destroyed.

I would suggest that, if possible,  you try your laptop with a different HDMI display & cable to see if that works any better. Also check the TV with another HDMI device plugged in to the cable & socket you have been using for the laptop, just to make sure the TV socket & the cable are still working correctly.

tried 3 cables and both ports already on TV.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

The HDMI ports are not tolerant to over-voltages.  It might sense the TV but the driver chip has no output to the port.   It can be fixed but at a cost more than the replacement part.  Most mfgrs will rework the board and charge for the labor and parts, again close to $200.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users