Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirected from the malware removal section, disabled administrator privileleges

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LonFlocks

LonFlocks

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

I got redirected here from the malware removal section. See this thread for more details. It seems to be the same problem as this thread discusses.

I downloaded something and my firewall gave me a warning that a trojan horse (Atros3.AGMY) had infected my pc. There was a program installed in the C:\Users\Reinier\AppData\Local\Temp folder called codecfixdivx.exe.

The trojan somehow disabled my administrator rights. When I open apps I get the message "Mail cannot be opened with the built-in administrator account. Log in with another account and try again".

As suggested by the malware removal guy I ran the Farbar recovery scan tool twice with different fixlists. I don't know exactly what this did. Also I restored the Administrator's account. (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html) But with this account it gives the same errors upon opening apps and using this account I was not able to remove the trojan using the farbar tool and the given fixlists either.

The codecfixdivx.exe is still there and I am still not able to open apps.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Reinier

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

Not sure why Nasdag left it like that hes a very experienced malware remover..Ive never used the DVX software either.

Create a restore point,Back up the registry and run this tool.(If that works we,ll deal with the admin rights issue).

https://www.reasoncoresecurity.com/codecfix.exe-8f3fe1f372d57164d86574a3fdd726e30d19bf28.aspx

#3 LonFlocks

LonFlocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

Alright, yeah I also wondered why he redirected me so quickly. Thanks for helping though.

I ran the tool and it didn't even identify codecfixdivx.exe as a threat. During the scan AVG did pop up saying a threat was detected as before.

Any other ideas?

Reinier

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

Ok,lets see if we can re enable the Admin account

By the way you have guest accounts available if we need to use them to re activate the Admin account?

Hopefully this will work without that.

Open an Elevated Command prompt

Open the Start menu - click on All Apps at the bottom

In All Apps, scroll down and expand open the Windows System folder, then
right click and hold on Command Prompt - click on Run as administrator.

Re enable the Admin account.

Copy and paste the following command and press Enter

net user administrator /active:yes 

Note
If you happen to have renamed the built-in "Administrator" account then 
just replace administrator in the command  with the name you used..

It should then say - The command completed successfully.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 26 April 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#5 LonFlocks

LonFlocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:58 AM

Nasdaq also advised me to do that so I have already done that. The problems opening apps are also present using this account.

#6 LonFlocks

LonFlocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:10 AM

So I turned on my PC this morning and with what seemed like every application launching upon startup an error would appear. A different one from before. "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000005). Click OK to close the application." I tried rebooting. Still the same problem. I can't access system restore either.

I can't use my PC at all now. So the problems got much worse.

Maybe I need to boot from a USB drive or something?

I hope this can be fixed.

#7 LonFlocks

LonFlocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

I have not found a way to enter safe mode. Because I can't run msconfig or command prompt.

I there some way to boot into safe mode from the BIOS menu?

#8 LonFlocks

LonFlocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

I got into safe mode but even then nothing works. So I guess I have to get a recovery drive from somewhere.

#9 LonFlocks

LonFlocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

I used a recovery USB drive to repair windows. I'll back up some important files and I'll scan if the malware is still there. If so, I'll wipe the whole hard drive and reinstall.

So I'll be fine, thanks for your help.

#10 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

I would do a clean install at this point. Backup your personal data first.

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

Ok,elPuSHeR is probably right,if you dont mind re installing your Programs a clean install will get you a better result,hope it goes ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users