Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dial-up Using Password And Dialers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

I have a couple questions:

I have a dial-up ISP. In order to connect to the internet, not only must I dial the number but enter my password. I deliberately set it this way. I do not store passwords on my computer.

If a dialer should get in my system, and one has a time or two, is it possible for it to dial out if I am not connected to my ISP?

If I am connected to the internet, is it possible for it to dial out, and if so how?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

If you are not connected to the internet, a dailer cannot dial out; once a connection is established (whether or not you use a password to do so is not important, though you are wise to do so) the dialer will use that connexion to communicate.
Now, aren't you glad you have a firewall?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

If you are not connected to the internet, a dailer cannot dial out

Ah, good.

once a connection is established ... the dialer will use that connexion to communicate.
Now, aren't you glad you have a firewall?

Most definitely glad to have a firewall - a Third Party firewall - since Windows firewall doesn't block out-going stuff.

Thanks for the information jgweed :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 joe cohen

joe cohen

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:55 AM

I'm not sure if I got it right but... a dialer is not that malicious program that dials premium numbers making your phone bill huge? So once the dialer gets inside your pc, it can dial while you are not connected to the internet. Infact it usually can't dial while you are using the modem for the internet connection. Someone please correct me if i got it all wrong. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users