Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Event Sounds not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

XP Pro_SP3

I hear the Windows Startup and Shutdown sounds, but nothing else. All the Program Event
sounds like "Empty Recycle Bin" just stopped a few hours ago.

The default for audio and video is the latest version of VLC Media Player.

Everything in "Device Manager" and "Sounds and Audio Devices" looks ok. Tested the sound
card and speakers by playing several audio clips with VLC. No problems.

I googled "xp program event sounds not working." It's frightening! There are endless posts
about XP sound problems that resolve nothing. This is the first time I've ever had a sound
problem with any version of Windows.

Most weird problems like this are resolved in the Registry. If that's true, I need to know which
Keys and Values are responsible for this trouble.

I don't know if this matters, but I'm the only user with full administrative rights. There are no
viruses, malware, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:42 AM

Does the problem persists if you reboot your computer?

#3 EncoMan

EncoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for replying Agouti.

I may have mentioned in a previous post that I create scripts to automate tedious jobs related
to my business. There is a script in the Startup folder that seemed to be running perfectly for
many months. When something runs smoothly you almost forget it exists. Sure enough, this
Startup folder script was causing miniscule glitches that eventually effected the Program Event
Sound Scheme. I corrected these small errors and that fixed all the sound problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users