Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

139 port Open in Windows and Linux?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi, well I actually don't know if port 139 is still open on my Windows PC but I think this port is now open on my Linux system. Is this safe on a Linux system? I understand that 139 is vulnerable to backdoor and remote access exploits in Windows but this kind of thing is very unlikely right for a Linux system even if port 139 is open?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

From Wikipedia:

139 TCP UDP NetBIOS Session Service Official

A bit more info about NetBIOS (again from Wiki):

NetBIOS /ˈnɛtbʌɪ.ɒs/ is an acronym for Network Basic Input/Output System. It provides services related to the session layer of the OSI model allowing applications on separate computers to communicate over a local area network. As strictly an API, NetBIOS is not a networking protocol.

Basically a service like any other. Can be used for both good and ill. A wise policy is to deny all traffic not specifically needed by your machine in your firewall (look up IPTables, as it is the most common Linux firwall), but not everyone has time for that.

I think that an exploit of that sort is unlikely on Linux, but it is of course possible. I will note, however, that nothing can attack a port that doesn't have a service/daemon listening on it.

( a bit tired so forgive me if this post is confusing)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users