Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Xp Pro Has Died - Need Help Retrieving Data

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cybermel_*

Guest_cybermel_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

I have a Dell laptop and was running XP Pro when I started having problems (this computer has been running perfectly for two years, I guess I was due). It is missing a .dll file (hal.dll) and will not load the OS, not even in safe mode. I ran the recovery console and tried "bootcfg /rebuild" and recieved a message that the rebuild was not successful, and should run chkdsk. I did this and recieved and message that there were unrecoverable errors. Basically, it sounds like I am screwed. My problem now is this: I haven't backed up in a while (my bad, I know) and there are some files I would like to recover. Can someone recommend a third-party software for me, or suggest a course of action? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

Take a look at this:Windows XP Setup - Missing HAL.DLL from kellys-korner.

Be ("I'm sorry Dave") Safe :thumbsup:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 talon699

talon699

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

somehelp

Mod Edit: Close tags and remove duplicate entry. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 August 2006 - 11:20 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

Using the XP CD run Start> Run> sfc /scannow
This will reinstall the .dll files.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:40 AM

If Acklan's remedy doesn't work see if Fred Langa's article on a missing HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini" helps:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=185301251

#6 Guest_cybermel_*

Guest_cybermel_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I've been trying them all with no success. My only hope now is to somehow recover files. When in recovery mode, how can I copy my files to a removable media? (I do not have a floppy drive or a cd burner - just my flash drive) AAAARGH!!!!!

Again, thanks for your input - if nothing else I am learning a lot. One wierd thing - all the articles about this say that it usually happens in a dual boot situation or after installing hardware. Neither of these apply to me - could it be a virus?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Try a live linux like Knoppix puppy or ubuntu. They support USB and can be ran from RAM, while not installing to the hard drive. you will be able to move files.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 Guest_cybermel_*

Guest_cybermel_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

So, here is the status of my computer:

Yesterday I booted to the recovery console and actually got chkdsk to run - the os booted long enough for me to transfer files to my flash drive, so thankfully I am ok there. Today I have been attempting to reinstall XP but it has taken all day and I just got a message about not being able to save the "<windows root>\system32\dllcache\sysomgr.exe" file. So, I guess we'll see how that goes. The install continued, but is so slow! I'm wondering if I have a bad hard drive or some other piece of hardware. I sure do apprecieate everybody's comments. I have learned a lot in the last few days, escpecially to BACK UP my files on a regular basis :thumbsup:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

What are you using to reinstall XP - A Windows Installation cd, a Dell Restore cd or the Recovery Partition on your hard drive?

#11 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

there could be 3 possible fixes for a missing or corrupt hal.dll. Corrupted disk, boot.ini is damaged or missing, hal.dll is actually damaged or missing. here are 3 possible fixes that may help ya.
1. Boot into the recovery console.
Run "chkdsk /p". to check for errors.
If errors are found then run "chkdsk /r"
Restart to see if the issue is resolved.

2. Boot into the recovery console.
Run "bootcfg /rebuild".
You will receive a message similar to this:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes, No, All)
Press "y" then press "Enter"
When "Enter Load Identifier" appears type in the name of the operating system
(This name is arbitrary and is just a label for the the found installation) and
press "Enter".
When "Enter OS Load options" appears type "/fastdetect" and press "Enter".
Exit recovery console to see if issue is resolved

3.To restore hal.dll with the version of the HAL Driver installed during setup,
perform the following steps.

1. Boot to the Recovery Console by either: - running the XP setup from the CD and
selecting the repair option. - if the Recovery Console has been installed, select
it from the OS Choices menu.
2. On you have booted to the Recovery Console, you will be at the \%WINDIR%\ folder
(where %WINDIR% is the directory in which Windows XP has been installed). Change
directory to the \%WINDIR%\Repair folder by typing "cd repair" and hitting Enter.

3. From the \%WINDIR%\Repair folder, view the setup.log file by typing in "more
setup.log" and hitting enter.
4. Locate the line that reads \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll = "********","#####" (
where the ******** indicate the HAL driver file that was installed) example:
\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll = "halacpi.dll","1a769" (where halacpi.dll is the HAL
driver file) Note: the name of the compressed file in the Windows XP Installation
files will be same except with the extension of "dl_" instead of "dll". Example:
"halacpi.dl_" for "halacpi.dll"
5. Press ESC to get back to the Recovery Console Command Prompt
6. Expand the file from the Windows XP CD by typing in the following: expand
d:\i386\(name of compressed driver file) c:\windows\system32 Example: expand
d:\i386\halacpi.dl_ c:\windows\system32
7. Change directory to the \%WINDIR%\System32 folder by typing in "cd
\%WINDIR%\system32" and hitting Enter.
8. Rename the expanded file to "hal.dll" by typing in "ren (name of driver file)
hal.dll" and hitting Enter. Example: "ren halacpi.dll hal.dll" 9. Restart the
system.

#12 Guest_cybermel_*

Guest_cybermel_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

After talking to my fellow IT buddies, and running some diagnostics, I have determined that my hard drive needs to be replaced. I am going to attempt to do this myself, although I have never worked on a latop before. Wish me luck! And, thanks again for everyone's input.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

Support at the laptop manufacturer's website should have instructions and diagrams about how to access the hard drive and how to replace it (which is somewhat different than in a desktop)

#14 Guest_cybermel_*

Guest_cybermel_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:57 PM

A final footnote to this issue. My hard drive was indeed bad, but lucked out and it was still under warranty. I have already recieved the replacement, reinstalled the os, and my files. Life is good once again. I just have to say thanks one more time to all you bleeping computer geeks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users