Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen, Mouse Pointer after Log-In

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PC_TECH2016

PC_TECH2016

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

I am working on a Dell Inspiron 570 4GB RAM, 300GB HDD, Win 7 Home Premium X64 which gets a black screen after log in screen with active mouse cursor.

Computer does boot into safe mode!

I have tried everything in the book and nothing seems to work. I could use some help.

I have tried the following:

1- Uplugged and drained power from computer, reseated HDD, RAM, cables, etc....

2- Performed System Diagnostics and test via the boot sector + memory test. (all passed)

2- System Restore and Last known good configuration.

3- MBR Repair via the Recovery Disk, Ran chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow

chkdsk returned: The first NTFS boot sector is unreliable or corrupt. Reading second boot sector                 insteasd, and resumed the rest of the chkdsk operation. After it finished it also mentioned that the 

MFT mirror is corrupeted<<<<<ATTENTION or MFT is missing or something. I am sure this has       something to do with this. 

sfc returned no errors.

fixed MBR fixed boot and rebuilt BCD

4- Virus Scan and removal of some Junk and a Severe Threat Virus with: MalwareBytes, Eset, Rkill, Windows Safety Scanner, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, all came out clean in the second round of scans.

5- Install and uninstall video driver, updated driver ATI Radeon.

6- Explorer.exe in task list RUN> New task did not work either. Also checked regedit and it is in registry where it should be.

7- msconfig> startup disabled the unnecessary programs.

8- Ran Windows all in one Repair Utility.

I have not tried: 

1- a new power supply or cmos battery

2- reset BIOS

3- change Legacy to UEFI, simply...... i don't see it on BIOS>BOOT!! 

Please Help! I appreciate it. Thank You forum!!! 

Edited by PC_TECH2016, 25 April 2016 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

Have you tried creating a new user profile in Safe Mode and logging into it? 

#3 PC_TECH2016

PC_TECH2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

no I have not!! I guess that would be next! I guess then I can copy the 'users' files to that new profile.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

It really seems like some type of graphics driver or setting. Hopefully a new profile will fix it. When you used msconfig did you disable all non-microsoft services and startup items?

#5 PC_TECH2016

PC_TECH2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

windows All-In-One Repair supposedly did that, I don't know! it is a very popular tool these days!

I didn't wanna mess with msconfig too much for now until I eliminate all the other culprits. I want to make sure 

that I don't lose access to safe mode or make it worse. But it is next on my list! I will boot with diagnostic start up and see what happens. I don't see anything in the event viewer either for any graphic related errors! very weird!! 

Thanks for all the input and appreciate your time, I will reply with update. 

#6 PC_TECH2016

PC_TECH2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

UPDATE: 

3- MBR Repair via the Recovery Disk, Ran chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow...NO ERRORS!

!!!!Please disregard the red error from original post! It was pasted by accident!!!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

If you uninstall the Radeon driver but not reinstall are you able to login to Normal Mode without a black screen? After deleting the Radeon driver you may want to run the AMD detect uitility which will give you a list of recommended downloads. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

#8 PC_TECH2016

PC_TECH2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

can I uninstall in safe mode? Some programs you can not uninstall in safe mode unless they have their own 

uninstaller such as anti-virus. I think this was one of the first things I did and it still installs the same driver! 

I will try again! Thanks :)

Edited by PC_TECH2016, 26 April 2016 - 08:15 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

Did you try creating a new user profile and login? Yes, you can delete the graphics driver in safe mode.

#10 PC_TECH2016

PC_TECH2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for your input JohnC

yes I had already tried the graphics driver and the AMD auto detect, I thought you meant the ATI utility that comes with the driver which I could not uninstall in Safe Mode. However:

SOLVED! repaired WMI and its corrupted dependent services Which included msinstall, winsock, reg permissions, and some more.(I think this pc was part of a network before and still had corrupted remnant services!!)

I had seen a few WMI errors in the event viewer but did not think it would be the culprit. 

Thanks to Windows All-in-One Repair! AWESOME Utility>>>DONATE To keep alive please. 

This must the one of the best windows repair utilities out there. Intensive system repair without the need of reinstalling the OS and all the updates all FREE. It resets and corrects most of the windows system beyond sfc /scannow and other recovery tools however I am just leaving a positive feedback on this product and it is completely is at your own risk and depends on each system. 

Edited by PC_TECH2016, 27 April 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Glad you sorted it out. Thanks for the update and solution to the problem which will can help other people with the same issue. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users