Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Blue Screen Error after automatic Update - Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

I had posted a topic in the Windows Crashes,BSOD,and Help forum but was asked to post here for help.

My Laptop installed automatic updates for Windows 10 and then I clicked to restart it. I am now getting a blue screen error
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart error code: 0xc000021a

It then tries to carry out an Automatic Repair by restarting but then it just goes back to the original blue screen.
Microsoft advise after automatic repair to select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore but I received an error message saying it had failed.

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C50 running Windows 10.

I have tried to reset and keep files and then end up getting message to say this has failed and then end up with the error message. 
I can access the boot menu through F12 and changed the boot order to boot from OD as I have been given a windows disc with windows 10 on but not sure how to get 
it to run the windows disk? I have restarted but still in the blue screen automatic repair screens?

Any help would be great as a a loss. Have posted on the Microsoft forum but had no reply,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:15 AM

It depends on what you want to do here.

As Automatic Repair, System Restore and the RESET with the Keep My Files option have failed - your options are somewhat limited.

Have you backed up your data?  Most other options will wipe out your files.

Have you tried any hardware diagnostics?  If so, what were the results?

Have you tried the RESET with the Remove Everything option?  This will wipe out ALL your files, so don't do it until you've backed your stuff up.

If you need help with backing up, please let us know (and, let us know what the original operating system was on the Toshiba).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for your reply. Not sure how to try hardware diagnostics.

I hadn't backed up for a couple of months so if it is possible to back up to an external hard drive any help would be appreciated.  A friend has offered to remove the hard drive and back up my data for me so I then can try and reset or boot with the disc with the windows 10 on.

The laptop was using Windows 8 and I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago.

Thanks

#4 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hi please could someone help with backing up. Thanks.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

You'll have to use a bootable recovery disk - such as a Live Linux distro, or a bootable disk such as the Ultimate Boot CD

Here's a google search with some results.
Then, once you boot from the disk, simply copy the Users folder to your external Hard Drive - that's where nearly everything is stored these days.

If you have difficulties doing this, just post back with the specific problem and we'll work our way through it step-by-step.
Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

I just wanted to report that this issue has now been resolved with the help of Microsoft and a reboot using a windows 10 installation on a flash drive. If anyone else has this issue contact Microsoft help https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus and request a callback from a technician. If the first level technician cannot help they will refer your case to a higher level. It took a number of different routes and phone calls from them at an agreed time but worth the wait.  Apparently when I upgraded to Windows 10 the installation wasn't completely successful but this has now been sorted. 

#7 themantis

themantis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

when you launch Repair option, select command prompt then type: c:\windows\systems32\bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

//if your have 64 bit, replace 32 with 64. restart then press F8 safemode and run disk check, run check all startup programs.

or

at the prompt and run chkdsk c: /f

if that did not resolve the problem

try at the prompt c:\windows\system32\sfc /scannow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users