Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Share From One PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JustCallMeAlec

JustCallMeAlec

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

Greetings, I have 3 Windows 7 computers in my home, 1 is a laptop and 2 are PCs, I own the laptop and (what I'm going to call) PC1 to make things simple. 

When I attempt to open another computer from PC1 in Windows Explorer I get the error 0x80070035 The network path was not found (the very second I double click it, as if it's not even trying to connect). My laptop and PC2 are able to share with no issues and can even transfer files from themselves to PC1. I am at a loss at this point because I literally have been trying to fix this for almost a month, but to no avail. 

Ways I have attempted to troubleshoot this are;

- Disabling Firewalls and Antiviruses completely 

- Making sure the Windows Sharing center are correct (even though they are not part of the same workgroup - which I have also ruled out as a possible solution)

- I am able to ping PC2 and my laptop in CMD from PC1 with no troubles.

- Using \\(ComputerName) in Windows Explorer on PC1 comes up with the same error message as above.

- IPv6 is enabled and Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected in the IPv4 settings of my adapters on all devices.

These are the only suggestions I can recall doing, since I have been to countless sites, trying to find a possible fix, I simply cannot remember all possible solutions I have tried offhand. 

I am extremely grateful for any solutions anyone may have.

- Alec 

Edited by JustCallMeAlec, 25 April 2016 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

If they are not part of the same workgroup, I would not expect them to be able to share files.  Any sharing that I have done between Win 7 and XP systems (I have 3 computers) or Win7 to Win 7...same workgroup between the O/S installs attempting to share...seems to be a prerequisite.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

Assuming all have their Sharing bullets set correctly, the only way I solved my intermittent one of three not communing with the other two was to have the computers coldpost/boot or restart in order of their "numbers."  Awhile back, a network/hdw/software tech/guru suggesting making my desktop "first computer" [I forgot the steps].  Booting it first, then the others seemed to help quite a bit.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 JustCallMeAlec

JustCallMeAlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

If they are not part of the same workgroup, I would not expect them to be able to share files.  Any sharing that I have done between Win 7 and XP systems (I have 3 computers) or Win7 to Win 7...same workgroup between the O/S installs attempting to share...seems to be a prerequisite.

Louis

Well the weird thing is, it used to be able to share files a long time ago, and I have restarted the Home Group and still having the same issue,

Assuming all have their Sharing bullets set correctly, the only way I solved my intermittent one of three not communing with the other two was to have the computers coldpost/boot or restart in order of their "numbers."  Awhile back, a network/hdw/software tech/guru suggesting making my desktop "first computer" [I forgot the steps].  Booting it first, then the others seemed to help quite a bit.

I have tried starting the PC before the laptop and vise versa if that's what you mean.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

Homegroup...and workgroup...are 2 different items.

Homegroup is for secure networking, involving passworded access by each system, I believe.

While workgroup is not password-oriented.

Either can be applied to home networks, as the user desires.  But I don't believe that an XP system can use the homegroup system, while it can be established as part of a workgroup (which can be joined by Win 7 systems).  More Info.

Louis

#6 JustCallMeAlec

JustCallMeAlec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:17 PM

Homegroup...and workgroup...are 2 different items.

Homegroup is for secure networking, involving passworded access by each system, I believe.

While workgroup is not password-oriented.

Either can be applied to home networks, as the user desires.  But I don't believe that an XP system can use the homegroup system, while it can be established as part of a workgroup (which can be joined by Win 7 systems).  More Info.

Louis

Oh, right, my fault. But as I said, PC2 works just fine with the laptop, and I can assure you I get the same result when they aren't part of the same homegroup and when they are. And they are all Windows 7s.

Edited by JustCallMeAlec, 25 April 2016 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users