Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 0hmai

0hmai

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hello, I was planning on selling my asus u46e laptop on ebay. I used DBAN to erase my hard drive . Before I did that I burned a windows 7 iso on a disc for installation after DBAN. However , DBAN finished and I have a black screen saying "reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." I went to BIOS to make sure the boot option was set to DVD, but it seems to not be working. I tried watching videos but the BIOS on the videos looks different than mine . I really don't know what to do and I am panicking at this point. Should I make another installation disc and try again or something else? I really need help and I will attach a picture of my BIOS screen.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

Where did you get the Windows ISO?  Is it the same version as the one that came on your laptop?  I presume you have the license key because it's suppose to be on a sticker somewhere, right?

#3 0hmai

0hmai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Where did you get the Windows ISO?  Is it the same version as the one that came on your laptop?  I presume you have the license key because it's suppose to be on a sticker somewhere, right?

I got the iso from a different forum. A user posted instructions on how to use dban and reinstall windows 7. I took pictures of my license key and windows 7 premium information from the [computer> properties] just in case I needed them. The dban iso disc worked fine but the windows 7 one I burned doesn't work for some reason

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:50 PM

I would be wary of using any ISO unless I can verify it's from an official source.  To download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft...

1.  Follow the instructions in this article to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench.  Make sure you download the correct version that matches what was on your laptop.  From the information you provided, it sounds like you need Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.  Also, there is no telling when this workaround may stop working, so you should act quickly.

2.  Once you have the ISO, go to MSDN Subscriber Downloads and use the box that says "Enter a Product Name" to search for the same ISO.

3.  Once you find the matching listing, click on the link that say "Details" to expand the listing.  (Note, you won't be able to download anything at MSDN without a subscription but we just want the SHA1 hash).

4.  The SHA1 hash for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 is 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9.  Download Hasher Lite and calculate SHA1 hash of the ISO then compare it to make sure it matches.  This will ensure that the ISO wasn't corrupted in the course of downloading.

5.  Next, follow this article to make a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive with Rufus.

6.  If you are on a Windows 7 or later computer and you want to burn the ISO to DVD instead, follow the instructions in this article.

7.  Go to Asus support here and download the drivers for your computer.  Make sure you select Windows 7 64-bit in the box that says Please select OS.

8.  Insert the flash drive or DVD and boot your computer.

9.  Follow the prompts to install Windows on the new hard drive.  You may need go into the BIOS to change the boot order if the computer doesn't boot from the USB drive.

10. Install your drivers.

Another thing is the key shown in Computer-->Properties is not what you want.  Instead, look for a sticker either on the bottom of the laptop, or in the battery bay.  It's a 25-character key in the format xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.

Let me know how it goes.

[Edit]

I just noticed your laptop uses UEFI.  That means you should enable UEFI when you are installing the Windows.

Edited by Agouti, 25 April 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#5 0hmai

0hmai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hello, it turns out it was just the installation disc.
I followed the steps you provided, and the new iso I burned worked fine.
Thanks a lot! C:

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users