Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 won't boot up after updates ..................... aghhh!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slime58

Slime58

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hi guys

I was working on my Acer Aspire laptop this morning when I got a notification that my machine would restart at 9.25am to finish a Windows Update.

It did that but hasn't been able to boot up since then!!!!!

I get a black screen with the Win 10 blue window logo with a handful of white dots slowly spinning clockwise.

Windows10_logo_thumb.jpg

It'll do that for a few minutes before restarting. It'll only go as far as the screen with the blue window on it.

It's been doing this all day long ..................................... but I need it to work, it's critical for my business.

As it's Win 10 it won't let me boot into safe mode via the F8 key.

Having googled from another PC, it appears I can only boot into safe mode once the machine has booted up!!

I wan't safe mode so that I can do a system restore as soon as possible.

I really am in a mess here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Slime58

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

You can use Windows 10 Setup DVD to boot your computer to Safe Mode or restore Windows to date when it was working.

Posted Image

#3 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

You can use Windows 10 Setup DVD to boot your computer to Safe Mode or restore Windows to date when it was working.

I don't have a Windows 10 Setup DVD as my Win 10 was merely a free upgrade from Windows 8 !!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

You can download the iso directly here or use the Media Creation Tool

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:13 AM

You can also try this (it works most times).

Let the system boot to the spinning circle and let it spin for 5 seconds or so (an estimate)

Then force shutdown the system by holding the power button down.

Do it again, then do it again - by the 3rd time you should see something in print below the spinning circle (usually it's "Please wait" or "Preparing Automatic Repair")

Other suggestions here:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

See steps 4, 5, and 6 for systems that don't boot into Windows

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:49 AM

I decided to take it to a computer shop I've used before as I needed a speedy resolution.

He put a dongle in and, after about 20 minutes, I got a call to say all was well ......................................... thankfully!

He wouldn't tell me what was on the dongle he booted my machine from, but, he only charged me a few quid so I thought

that will do me!

Thanks for all your help guys,

Slime58

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

He probably had a Windows 8.1 10 recovery drive on a USB. You can create one if you run into a similar problem. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 April 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#8 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:06 AM

Agred. If this happens to you again you can try booting the w10 installation cd -> choose advanced options (from repair); command prompt.

Do a chkdsk c: /f (c being the drive where Windows resides)

and then go to c:

and delete the windows\softwaredistribution folder contents (BUT BE VERY CAREFUL. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ELSE).

Reboot afterwards.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 28 April 2016 - 06:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users