Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Ideapad 700 vs Dell Inspiron 15 7000

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spaceuser

spaceuser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hi all. First post on this forum, looks like a great resource.

So I have 2 (sort of 3) laptops I'm juggling. There are the Lenovo Ideapad's 700 and y700. I can't really be sure of the difference between the 2, but I think the 700 is newer and the biggest difference I can find is that it mentions a PCle solid state whereas the y700 does not mention the PCle (but does offer solid state).

As far as comparing either of those with Dell 15 7000, it seems I can get the Dell a bit cheaper  but would possibly want to consider RAM and/or SSD upgrade to get to where I would be with the Lenovos. Any reason to pull the trigger on the Dell and upgrade rather than just get one of the Lenovo? Perhaps price...?

The specs, BTW, are: i7 for both. discrete graphics for both. All the right ports and wi-fi capabilities for both. Main difference in the numbers I can see is that the 700 can come with 16.0GB PC4-17000 DDR4 2133 MHz  and 1TB 5400 RPM+256GB PCIe SSD. This compared to Dell's 8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1) and 1TB 5.4k Hybrid HDD + 8G Cache [1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive + 8GB Embedded Flash Cache].

Additionally I believe some reviews states Lenovo had the upper hand on sound.

Either way, It seems like having the SDD would be a big plus, even over the 8mg flash cache the Dell offers.

I will fill out the buying template just to cover my bases,  but I am pretty sure I've narrowed it down the the two listed above.

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop - don't need a super light one.

My budget for the new computer is: up to 1,200

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Browsing (I tend to run many tabs), streaming (watching movies and such), media downloading, photo editing, light video editing.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Microsoft 10

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Not really

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I try to close PROGRAMS but tend to run a lot of tabs, and sometimes a few programs get backed up in the heat of editing or whatnot.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? yes, currently use external

Will you be overclocking? not even sure

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? anywhere

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1, possibly hook up to tv (hdmi wanted, as is usb, good wi-fi (ac) and sd card reader)

Do you need peripherals? OS? don't think so

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Old computer smashed screen and sometimes slow anyways (dell inspiron n5110 i5)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

This is a no brainer for me.

Personally, I avoid Lenovo products like the plague! They make some good products, but the Chinese company (and their Chinese government overseers) cannot be trusted! Lenovo has a long history (since buying out IBM's PC business in 2005) of shipping computers with malware and spying on customers. The "Superfish" scandal in February 2015 is a huge example. And they admitted it! But note they said they stopped, not because it presented a security risk to its customers, but due to some browser pop-up behavior!

Lenovo products have been banned from sensitive UK, Australia, NZ, Canada and US government agencies

May 2015, BBC News, Lenovo: researchers find 'massive security risk'

And, despite their claims to stop, they keep at it! August 2015, The Guardian, Lenovo does it again.

December 2015, Fortune.com, Another Huge Security Hole Has Been Discovered on Lenovo Computers.

Since the Chinese government has no qualms conducting cyber-warfare on democratic, free societies, or their private citizens, I recommend sending Lenovo a message that we consumers will not tolerate (or reward through purchases) their malicious behavior and urge consumers to avoid Lenovo products.

Even IF Lenovo management and executives are not active participants in all these repeat malicious activities, the fact it keeps happening over and over again (and with new code too) is a clear indication they are not doing much, if anything, to prevent it from happening again and again! Whether it is because they are lining their greedy pockets, or it is through intimidation and coercion by the corrupt and hostile Chinese government, or both, Lenovo computers cannot be "trusted".

Again, I am not disputing the quality of their products. The problem is, the company behind them have demonstrated over and over again, they take an active role in malicious activity against their customers.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#3 spaceuser

spaceuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Good to know. I wasn't aware of those issues. Thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users