Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OMG, Wondershare Filmora destroyed my Windows 7!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:59 AM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

First off I have nothing against the software mnf, I just wanted to uninstall Filmora demo. I proceeded and noticed it left some files which is normal, a lot of software does that. Pro let arose when I went for a routine system restore on my new SSD. It said unable to extract a certain file....but I had uninstalled Filmora, why would it be saying this?? Thought it was a reg error maybe with CC cleaner. I doubt it now. Tried reinstalling, but no go. So I reinstalled my HDD that I used to mirror to my SSD thinking this can't be happening. I went to earliest restore point which was the day of the Filmora install coincidentally?? I don't remember honestly deleting all restore points before that; proceeded to sys.restore then the worst happened. On reboot windows stops booting and tells somethings wrong and I need to insert the repair disc...I'm fuked. No disc either and a working mirror on SSD that is tainted with the same remnants that killed my Win7 OS on my HDD. I did nothing jazzy to cause this and it isn't coincidence that both drives are screwed on a system restore to a point before the Filmora install. That software is evil. Any work around without a repair disk?

I'm going to try to create a new backup disc from the mirror and use it to repair win7pro on the original HDD. It only leaves the problem with the remnants of filmora still being there, preventing a system restore.

Wish this this were a case of something else being the root cause, but I backtracked in my mind where I could've caused this. I'm pretty cautious and keep my sessions basic as possible. My system is pretty empty and uncluttered.

I'm thinking once(if) I get HDD up have to manually remove all wonder share files from the registry and give it another go. Can I do this by locating the files reg files by date? I'm also wondering if I have to hunt down all the ancillary non registry files to completely get rid of this and restore my ability TO restore.

Am I chasing my tail?   Thanks for reading. 

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2016 - 08:48 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

Also, I tried the F8 on boot up and wasn't successful.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

You can create a System Repair Disk on any Windows 7 computer with the same version OS. See the workaround here. This should help if you need to reinstall and will also let do do a repair.

You can pull your key offline if the OS is an OEM copy of Windows 7 by copying the SOFTWARE registry hive to a flash drive. You will need to either attach the drive to another computer to copy the hive or use a live OS disk like Hirens or linux to copy it. This will also let you recover any data on the drive to an external disk. For a live linux disk I recommend Fatdog64. If you decide to use Fatdog post back as copying files is a little different than Windows.

Edit: Software hive is located in C:\Windows\System32\config

Once you have the Software Hive copied attach the flash drive to a working computer. Download Produkey and run it. It will open and show you the keys on the computer you are running Produkey form but you want the key from the SOFTWARE hive on the USB key. In Produkey select FIle > Select Source and check the button next to Load the product keys from external Software Registry Hives. Browse to the SOFTWARE hive on the USB key then okay. This should get you your Windows 7 key if you do not have it. You will need to do a phone activation.

Edit: You can use the  AutoRuns and the drive attached to another computer to look for any Wondershare drivers or services and disable or remove them.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/analyze-offline-system-autoruns-feature/

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 April 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#4 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

Will Autoruns work on a drive having a unbootable win7pro once I attach it to a working computer that has Autoruns?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

Yes, it will look at the Windows directory of the attached drive and load the registry offline. This will allow you to search for anything WonderShare related. You can either uncheck the box next to the entry or remove it by highlighting and clicking the Red X.

Edit: you have to select the offline source as shown in the link I posted.

You can also use the method here to edit the registry offline but I believe if you disabling all Wondershare entries using Autoruns will be sufficient.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/analyze-offline-system-autoruns-feature/

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 April 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#6 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

Okay great I'm going to give this a go 2nite!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

Good Luck. Just another option if you ever need it. Kaspersky Rescue Disk (linux based) which is bootable can access and edit the registry outside of windows.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/8110

#8 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:19 AM

I finally got my original system on HDD up. Bad news is windows Theme and anything related is totally changed or reverted to stock settings. I've started another thread that sheds light on my situation and maybe I can get more help on that next roadblock. Man this sucks, I should've never downloaded that software.

Thanks JohnC You really did help and I did end up downloading Autoruns, but this is an older system and I doubt I'd be able to get a key activation. Much obliged!

#9 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:35 AM

Merged topics - Hamluis.

This is a continuation of another thread after having trouble rebooting during a restore. Some background: I'm trying to restore (fully) my win7pro on my HDD. I use it to mirror on a SSD, which has its problems of its own, but I used the SSD os to create a repair disc.

Succesfully, I did end up rebooting the HDD with two fault errors shown during the repair.

system32\drivers\disk.sys is corrupt.

and

system32\drivers\volsnap.sys is corrupt

I had to repair twice to get it to eventually reboot.

I'm pretty sure somethings were lost. Ironically my personal files all were intact that I can see...still too early. In that regard aside from my system being totally strange to me, I'm noticing that all my user settings have all disappeared. Even more disappointing is the ability to change settings are impossible.

Example: I could no longer shrink the toolbar. I had to go online and learn how to do it manually in the registry - this is a far stretch for me since I'm pretty much utilitarian with computers.

The ability to use only SMALL icons is impossible to apply. I can check the box, but nothing happens.

The start menu will not save any recently used applications/programs.

Whenever I open my browser, Mozilla, it never remembered that I had chosen it as my default.

Thunderbird is no longer working and remains a hollow icon with an error message.

There definitely seems to be things in the registry that are no longer there - like the smaller toolbar. After updating the registry I was only able to get the double sided arrow to show up when you hover the cursor over the edge of the toolbar...no go on the actual downsizing.

Am I destined to be forever manually fixing the registry and what I had lost? Something is seriously awry. I even had to readjust using ClearType text.

Can anyone give some insight or experiences?

Thanks, I'm beginning to think I've lost this one and finally can't recover what's broken. Really wish I had never downloaded that software. :(

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

Your Welcome,

If the system is back up and running you can backup the activation files and key using Advanced Token Manager. I ran into your problem with theme setting changed because of a corrupted profile. I think you only option would be to possibly create a new user profile and reset everything to your preferences. 

After everything is up to date you can create a complete disk image to an external drive using software like Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper. Both programs allow you to create a bootable disk or USB flash drive to restore the image from the external drive should the computer no longer boot because of a bad drive or file system corruption. For a bad drive simply install a new blank drive, boot the recovery media and restore the image form the backup on the external drive. Doing this you would be back up in minutes vs hours for something like your problem. Both also give the option to mount the disk image as a virtual drive which will allow you to pull any file out of the image and copy to another drive.

Anyways, good luck with your theme problem and hopefully it gets solved.

#11 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

Okay, after spending two weeks tons of time(for me time is money), energy and cash I've finally know what happened. USER ERROR! I am never one to be afraid to admit to a mistake if I'm pretty sure of it. After the entire process I've learned a ton - some useful and some not - info and experience. Honestly I really could do without most of it. Except for one, probably fundamental, rule. If you are creating a mirror or clone, make sure as many personal files and Apps are closed! In cases like mine, migration software isn't fool proof...no pun. If I recall I either opened wondershare Filmora or was trying to uninstall and that corrupted my registry beyond repair. No repair disc, no sys. Restore or backup could do anything. In the end, sleeplost , a few dollars shorter and humbled again; I can't forget that as a utilitarian of computers I can't always start in the middle and forget basic rules. Even things like taking the time to read dialog windows completely and not to mess with the computer when tired. Lessened learned, SSD installs aren't as Scott free as the Internet would make it seem. Thanks to all for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users