Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is being remote controlled by a hacker.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eloquence123

Eloquence123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

So, my younger cousin was at my house yesterday and wanted to use my laptop, so I let her. She was on club penguin and decided she wanted a free membership so she googled it and downloaded something which was an .exe. I don't know what the name of it was, because I was letting her do her own thing at the time. I didn't know she was going to install a virus. So anyway, after a few hours she went home and I went back to playing games and using the Internet when suddenly, out of nowhere, a chat box came up with no "X" button to close out of it. "Admin" typed something like this: "thanks for your account."

I was really confused so I typed back "what account?" And Admin replied "your club penguin account." I was immediately like "oh crap." At this time I knew my cousins account must've been hacked. There must be a key logger on my system. But suddenly the admin typed again. He said "watch this." And suddenly my mouse was moving on its own.

After doing a little bit of research with the little knowledge I have of computers, I think it's a "rat?" But I'm too worried to turn on my computer again in case my computer gets controlled again. After panicking and asking my friends, they suggested to take out the battery from the laptop and not use it for a few days, then take it to a professional. But I don't want the chat opening to said professional because... Well, it would be weird. Also, my mum is going to be pissed at me for ruining my Christmas present. I would love to get rid of this "rat" myself preferably.

I am using a Windows 10 laptop, and my cousin downloaded the virus yesterday (24/04/16). I have to do school work on this laptop, so please, any help is appreciated. Any at all. Please bear in mind I'm a noob with computers so if you can explain it in the easiest terms possible it will help a lot. Also, malware bytes found nothing on my system when I did a scan.

Thanks.

Edited by Eloquence123, 25 April 2016 - 05:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

You can still use your computer for homework until you get this issue fixed. Just disconnect from the internet and you will be fine; if there is no connection no hacker can attack the computer. If you are wireless, click the connection icon in the lower right corner of the screen (aka your system tray) and click "disconnect" in the menu that pops up. Sometimes you must right click your connection item, then disconnect. Your laptop probably has an internet disconnect switch on it somewhere so just use that. Then enter the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs and look for something listed as "Club Penguin" and remove it; hopefully it is listed there if your cousin installed it normally.

Now go Here, follow the instructions and post in the Malware removal forum for help from a tech who will help you clean up your system.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Eloquence123

Eloquence123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hello, thank you so much for replying.

I need the Internet though as I have to type up an essay using Microsoft word, but regardless: I can use my mums old laptop to help me.

I might try going into safe mode or something, from what I've heard that temporarily blocks viruses until you go into normal mode? Now I have to google how to.

And yes, I'll definitely check out the link you posted.

Thank you for your help.
(Ps: sorry for posting in the wrong thread, which im assuming I did.)

Edited by Eloquence123, 25 April 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Yes, you can do that; enter Safe Mode, but do not choose the option, "Safe Mode with Network" or that will connect you to the internet. Safe Mode is not the most convenient way since most of any peripherals are disabled, but hopefully you can get your word processor that you use to boot. All Safe Mode will do is disconnect you from the internet, which you can do in normal mode anyway.

By the way, Safe Mode does not necessarily block you from viruses; there are many types that will run very happily in Safe Mode, especially root kits.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Eloquence123

Eloquence123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hi, new update:

I tried to go into the advanced startup which requires me to restart the computer, and all I was greeted with for at least 5 minutes was a black screen, then it eventually came up with the blue, so i decided to look through the menus, clicked on system restore [by accident] and suddenly the screen dimmed and my laptop froze. Now it's going into a system restore. What do I do? Can I use a system restore to get rid of the rat? can I exit the system restore safely?

Also, just to add, I was typing this as it happened. My laptop is going very slow through menus. Is this because of the virus, or is this advanced setup generally very slow?

Edited by Eloquence123, 25 April 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Why did you go into advanced startup? If you don't follow the instruction that I give you, how can I help you? :( I gave you several things to do, have you done any of them? There are two restores: System restore and full operating system restore. One will (hopefully) restore your system back to the last good configuration that booted Windows and will not get rid of any virus you have, it will still be there; the other will wipe your hard drive of all programs and data and reinstall your Windows operating system which will remove any virus and all programs and data and return your computer to the exact way is was when brand new. You will lose all your programs, music, data, etc. At this point do not interrupt it, just let it complete and post back when done.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 April 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#7 Eloquence123

Eloquence123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry, I must seem so rude. I looked in the add and remove programs, and found nothing relating to club penguin. after asking my cousin, she said it was just a small thing that was supposed to inject into her club penguin account and do stuff(insert technical whatnot here)

As for safe mode, I decided not to try it as you said it was just Windows minus the Internet function, so I just went into normal Boot and disabled Internet. Should I have done safe mode? If I should have I'm sorry and I will do so tomorrow as at the time of posting this it is 10:30 pm my time.

Thanks again.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

Sorry, I guess I came across as rather rude, I didn't intend that, I was just being objective.

If your computer is back to normal, all your programs and data are still on it, and if you can boot into Windows, just post in the malware removal section that I linked you to. The tech there will walk you through scanning for any baddies, and will remove any found. These techs at Bleeping Computer go through extensive training before they are certified to help you, and they will make sure your laptop is clean.

The basic principle is that you never, ever, want to have any program/virus on your computer that will allow any other internet connection to control your computer. . In the meantime, by disconnecting from the internet you can use your laptop normally to do your homework. If you need internet access, you can use your Mum's in the meantime.

Don't worry, a computer is just a machine and it can be fixed just like any other machine. You will be fine.

#9 Eloquence123

Eloquence123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:32 AM

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll go post this in the malware removal forum you linked me to now.

Once again, thanks!
Elo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users