Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer-related issue with in-game ping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 UnhappyCyborg

UnhappyCyborg

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

Hello there,

My laptop just died some days ago... It was a great machine, may he find peace in the nether. 

I had to acquire a new one which is great as well (ASUS N751JX), but one thing is really annoying...

Whatever game I try to play, the ping always rockets in a few seconds and never really stabilizes (sometimes ~500ms, sometimes ~6000 or sometimes I just get disconnected).

This is not a router/ISP issue because I never had that problem with any of my previous computers, plus my brother doesn't have it either (we are sharing the same connection). No, this is computer-related for certain.

And so began my endless search for the trouble-maker. I already tried so many things. At first I thought it could be a network adapter issue (mine is an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) so I tried updating the drivers and it didn't change anything. Then I ran a few speedtests & pingtests and this is what I usually get :

144212666.png

So yeah, maybe my adapter is not the issue here... Then I'm going for the firewall : completely disabling it as well as the antivirus (desperate times indeed). Not a change, of course, that would have been too easy huh? (I'm using Windows Defender and no other firewall than the Windows Firewall)

I don't think it is a bandwidth issue because my speedtests are pretty good :

5276942192.png

I don't know if it helps but the in-game ping is always correct at first, I think it's so strange. I.E. for World of Warcraft, I have a minute of ~30ms ping before it all goes tits-up. Likewise, for League of Legends for instance, the ping appearing in the loading screen is ~100ms then rises so fast to ~500 - ~6000ms once in-game.

I also ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

I'd be so grateful if you could help me with this, I don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Edited by UnhappyCyborg, 25 April 2016 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UnhappyCyborg

UnhappyCyborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Allright. Fixed.

I just turned off every single non-windows service in msconfig. :) No clue about which of them it was, but well one of them for sure. Discovering it would be easy now.

Have a nice day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users