Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assorted Windows 10/PC Issues

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Baggi

Baggi

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

Not sure if this is a Windows 10 problem, or something else. But it seems I'm having several issues with my computer and come here looking for help.

1) Gmail and Hangouts and a few other sites (A credit card site we use all the time and a couple others) hang for a long time. Eventually some of them work, but Gmail and hangouts can no longer be used on my computer. It times out too quickly. 

2) iTunes stopped working also. Rather, it works, but whenever I want to buy something, or go into my account (I'm already logged into my account, but to buy something or make changes I have to log in again) it says it cannot connect to the server. I suspect this issue is related to the first issue. Otherwise, I don't really care as I've solved this problem by installing iTunes on another computer. I only mention it here because it could be related.

3) When calling iTunes/Apple support to fix the problem, they had me uninstall my Norton Antivirus, thinking that might be the issue. Norton comes for free with my internet provider, centurylink. Suffice it to say, this didn't fix the problem and iTunes support wasn't able to fix the problem. I then spent two hours on the phone with centurlink. They gave me a link to a site which downloaded a program onto my computer. This program was meant to allow centurylink to control my computer and install Norton. Another adviser was supposed to come on and work with me on the computer side while I was talking on the phone with the initial adviser. It times out every 20 minutes and I never got anyone on the installed program to help me. Again, this isn't an issue unless it's connected to the first issue above.

4) Finally, my computer has started acting wonky on start up. About every 3rd or 4th time I start it up, it just doesn't start. Gets to a loading screen and sticks there. Again, I suspect this may all be related to the first issue.

Thanks for any assistance and if I explain anything wrong, I apologize.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:12 AM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Post back when you finish the Memory and Hard Drive diagnostics (for other suggestions), but keep running the rest of the diagnostics.

I'm wondering if the hard drive is dying - comment 3) might be an indicator of that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Thanks, I'll get right on that. Hopefully will have it posted before bedtime tonight.

#4 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

Well, I tried for awhile to figure out the first step, which is USB bootable test or the burn to CD test. I couldn't get either to work. Finally I read down further to step 3 and see that I need an ISO recorder I think?

The issue is, I am using Windows 10 and this only goes to Windows 7. I feel foolish for spending so much time downloading the files over and over again, finally getting Winzip to unzip them, putting them on a CD (I tried USB drive first but it kept giving me an error) and then booting from the CD and nothing would happen.

So I think I need to do step 3 first and figure out the ISO recorder, but before I do that, I want to make sure I can use the Windows 7 one for Windows 10?

Thanks.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

I'll have to modify the description of the ISO recorder entry on the webpage as soon as I get some free time.

There are several ways to do this with W10 - either on CD or USB

First is the MemTest.  Depending on how your W10 boots, you can use the USB download from the MemTest86+ page (if it is a BIOS system), or you can use the USB download from the MemTest86 page (if it is a UEFI system.

As for the hard drive test, it's a bit more difficult.  Quite frankly the easiest thing is to run Seagate Seatools for Windows - and you won't have to mess with CD/DVD or USB drives.

Here's a link to the free download:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Run the Long/Extended test.

If the drive fails, immediately start backing up your files - as there's no telling when it'll give out (some die slowly, other die quickly).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

Ok, i finished the memory tests and it came out 100%. Now I'm running the Seagate Seatools test for windows and I choose the "Long Generic" test which seemed to match what you wrote above "Long/Extended" test. Hope I chose the right one. Once this is done, I'll move on in the process. Thanks for all your help!

#7 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

I ran the Furmark test while Seatools for windows is running. I ran the Furmark test for 5 minutes and the heat seemed to cap out at 88 degrees. I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to run the test for though. I only have one graphics card and it seemed to be doing just fine.

EDIT: Seagate finished on my solid state drive pretty quickly (My other drive that I just store stuff on will take a lot longer) and it says, "Long Generic - Pass" in green. I'll update this later as more tests come through.

SECOND EDIT: Ok, both hard drives are done now. Both came up green with PASS. 

The memory and hard drive diagnostics are finished, if I've followed the directions correctly, and it all seems to be coming up swell. I'll run some of the other stuff while I wait for you to respond and see if anything dings.

Edited by Baggi, 26 April 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#8 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

So far so good. Everything hardware so far is looking solid.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#10 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

Ok, here is the uploaded zip files. 

I hope I did this right. Thanks for the link to the heat monitor.

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

Admin log shows a lot of errors for your Motorola software/device.

Please uninstall it from the system and then test to see if that helps.

There are many, many MotoHelperService errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

Also, there's a number of these errors in the logfile:

The certificate received from the remote server has not validated correctly. The error code is 0x80092012. The TLS connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.

I'm not certain if this is a problem or not.  I'd suggest asking over in the Networking forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 3009) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

C: drive only has about 6% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

This device is disabled in Device Manager:

VF0640 Live! Cam Socialize    USB\VID_041E&PID_4083&MI_02\7&2600930D&1&0002    This device is disabled.

If not needed, please uninstall the software for this device and physically remove it from the computer.

If it's needed (or if you can't physically remove it), please re-enable the device then update it's drivers

There's many, many SkypeHost errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Please uninstall Skype.  If you'd like, feel free to download/install a fresh copy.

#12 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

Admin log shows a lot of errors for your Motorola software/device.

Please uninstall it from the system and then test to see if that helps.

There are many, many MotoHelperService errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

I uninstalled two motorola software packages that were in my control panel area. Hopefully this took care of this.

I'm not certain if this is a problem or not.  I'd suggest asking over in the Networking forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

I started a thread over there and am doing my best to follow instructions.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 3009) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

I'm not sure how to do this. I downloaded Belarc adviser and discovered my motherboard is Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 LE Rev 1.xx.

Do I need to put that in at the ASUS website and download whatever they tell me is an update for the motherboard? Is that what you mean by BIOS?

C: drive only has about 6% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

I now have about 65 gigs free on my main SSD drive and over 100 gigs free on my secondary drive that stores all of our videos and pictures.

If not needed, please uninstall the software for this device and physically remove it from the computer.

If it's needed (or if you can't physically remove it), please re-enable the device then update it's drivers

Done.

There's many, many SkypeHost errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Please uninstall Skype.  If you'd like, feel free to download/install a fresh copy.

This has been a headache for me. Somehow I had skype business on my computer and have no idea how it got there. It's not listed under Add/Remove programs and I had no idea how to remove it. I watched a youtube video on removing it and hopefully did a good job. Deleted a bunch of folders and some registry files (Although not all of the registry files that mentioned skype, because some of them seemed important).

Thanks again for all of your help!

#13 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

I missed this part. I'm not sure how to do this either. However, the Belarc Adviser I downloaded says this:

Hotfixes from Microsoft Update (agent version 10.0.10586.212) install automatically.
Last install: 4/28/2016 9:07:47 PM, check: 4/28/2016 9:05:34 PM.

These security updates apply to this computer but are not currently installed (using Advisor definitions version 2016.4.20.3), according to the 04/12/2016 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary and bulletins from other vendors. Note: Security benchmarks require that Critical and Important severity security updates must be installed.

Hotfix Id Severity Description (click to see security bulletin) CpuApr2016v3-2985753 Critical  Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update for Java 6.0.410.2 64-bit CpuApr2016v3-2985753 Critical  Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update for Java 7.0.450.18 32-bit CpuApr2016v3-2985753 Critical  Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update for Java 8.0.31.13 32-bit HT205638 Critical  Apple QuickTime security update for QuickTime 7.6.9 (1680.9)

I tried clicking the links but it didn't take me to any downloads. So, I'm not really sure if A: This is what you're referring to and B: How to fix it.

Thanks.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

What is the exact make and model of your computer.

If's it's a custom build system, then we can use the motherboard model instead.

It appears that this is the page for your Asus motherboard:  https://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/1/42/1/10/Y1rxruaUYxqESmXB/45/

The BIOS file there seems to be one that needs to be:

- downloaded, then extracted to the root (C:\) of your hard drive.

- then reboot, enter the BIOS, and use the Asus update tool there.

Asus BIOS/UEFI's are a bit confusing - you should be able to get more info about this by reading the motherboard's owner's manual

As for the Skype, it comes as a Windows Update now - I don't like it myself :0(

As for the Windows Updates, just run Windows Updates.

If it says to install stuff, go ahead and install it.

That's all that you can do.

Keep your eyes open for any errors or failures also - and let us know if you see any.

#15 Baggi

Baggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

What is the exact make and model of your computer.

If's it's a custom build system, then we can use the motherboard model instead.

It appears that this is the page for your Asus motherboard:  https://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/1/42/1/10/Y1rxruaUYxqESmXB/45/

The BIOS file there seems to be one that needs to be:

- downloaded, then extracted to the root (C:\) of your hard drive.

- then reboot, enter the BIOS, and use the Asus update tool there.

Asus BIOS/UEFI's are a bit confusing - you should be able to get more info about this by reading the motherboard's owner's manual

As for the Skype, it comes as a Windows Update now - I don't like it myself :0(

As for the Windows Updates, just run Windows Updates.

If it says to install stuff, go ahead and install it.

That's all that you can do.

Keep your eyes open for any errors or failures also - and let us know if you see any.

Ok, I downloaded the file for the motherboard from ASUS that you linked to (Not the one in beta, but the one below that). I extracted it to C:\.

After that, I restarted my computer and went into the BIOS. There were several tabs at the top of the screen (I think this was after I entered into advanced mode). 

MAIN -- AI TWEAK -- ADVANCED -- MONITOR -- BOOT -- TOOL

I assumed I'd need to go under TOOL in order to use an update tool. Here it showed the last time it was updated was in 2012. It also had two areas that could be manipulated, the rest seemed just like information written on the screen. One area was DRIVE INFO and the other area to the right of that was FOLDER INFO.

The drives were FS0:\ through FS3:\, four drives total. I clicked on them and the folder info to the right of that would change based off of which one of the drives were selected.

Otherwise, I didn't see anything else I could do there. I didn't see a way to get it to actually perform any sort of an update. I'm also a little worried about monkeying around within the BIOS.

Finally, I did a manual update of windows and one thing updated. It flashed by pretty quickly but it was something about Windows Defender. Then it said everything was updated.

I'll try looking for some read me information about the BIOS and see if I can figure out how to update it.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users