Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing win10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

HI,I was thinking about installing win10 on pc i am using right now by using a new partition these are the numbers i got below when doing an inquiry.

TOTAL VOLUME IN MB 788767

available in mb  293273

total size after shrinking in mb 495494

Now if i understand this right if i click on the 293273 number i will have a partition volume of 293273 in mb.

The reason for a new partition is if at all possible to install win10 there is my thinking right.

I have a new disk to put win10 iso. on then download it to the new partition and do a dual boot when needed,thanks

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2016 - 11:08 AM.
Moved from W10 Discussion to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

Are you going to do a dual boot with another version of Windows or with a flavor of Linux? If you are planning on dual booting with another flavor of Windows do you have two separate licenses? If not, you may run into serious technical issues as well as legal issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

HI,Rocky Bennett,I HAVE JUST THE ONE LICENSE for win7 that was one thing i misinterpreted and i have thought about Linux now i believe there are tutorials on how to use it.

If you look at the numbers in my post above can you clarify them in GB'S it's simple third grade math,but i am having trouble changing mb's to gb's,thank you

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

It looks like you have a 788 gb hard drive. I would recommend that you try Ubuntu 16.04 or Linux Mint 17.3. Another install of Windows could be pricey with the cost of a legitimate product key and everything.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

thank you,i see the use Linux Mint quite abit.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

The difference between MB and GB is 1000, so just divide MB by 1000 to get GB.  Since the initial install of Win 10 only takes about 15 GB, you'll use only a tiny bit of that 788 GB for Win 10.  I usually boot Linux Mint from a USB3 flash drive.  It boots up and is ready to use in about 30 - 40 seconds.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users