Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

very simple purchase template -need to replace a very oooooold system.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 process8

process8

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

The main uses will be what we use it for now.

Email, Internet browsing, watching YouTube and printing recipes for my wife. Honest, that's about all. I'd like to be able to play and copy music on it too.

As you can see, we don't need anything fancy, or new, for that matter. Suggestions for used PCs will be very welcome. Please be brand and model specific if you can.

When you see what I've been using, you'll at least get a good laugh! I do hope you'll bear with me, I'm old and slow, just like my pc. Please read this if you can stand it and help me if you can.

I'm going to describe the old system in full because I have a question for you folks which I THINK might require you have this information.

The computer is an e-machines T6212 with the AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200.

It's at least nine years old, maybe 10. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

It runs at 1.99 Ghz and has 896MB of RAM. I added some on an attempt to beef it up. The hard drive is 145GB total, 37GB are used. 108GB are free.

So now, the big question. Is it posssible to transfer EVERYTHING from the old hard drive to the new(er) one?

And I do mean everything. For example, I have 96 icons on my homescreen. They lead to various programs, links to forums and other websites, some of the other icons go to notes I have taken on things and on and on and on.

Can the homescreen, and all those icons, be transferred from the old computer to the new one?

I use an ancient version of Outlook Express, (OE6). Can it be transferred intact, with all my saved email,including the "sent" emails I've saved?

I think you can see what I need here. Is there such a COMPLETE transfer process? If so, what is it called and what should it cost to get it done?

As you already know, I've been putting this off for years.

So I need two things from you good folks.

1. Suggestions on what desktop PC to buy, hopefully a used one that will do what I need.

2. Information on how to get all the info from the old computer to the new one.

If you've gotten this far, you have the heartfelt thanks of an old man.

Take care.

Edited by process8, 24 April 2016 - 08:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

So now, the big question. Is it posssible to transfer EVERYTHING from the old hard drive to the new(er) one?

File transfers are easy. Programs... not so much. However, you can always
a ) simply add the old hard drive to the new PC, or
B ) "clone" the hard dive onto the new one (making a byte-for-byte copy of the old hard drive on the new one - this requires specific software).

Would you consider building a PC from used parts?

Edited by ScathEnfys, 24 April 2016 - 06:58 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:16 PM

File transfers are easy. Programs... not so much. However, you can alwaysa ) simply add the old hard drive to the new PC, orB ) "clone" the hard dive onto the new one (making a byte-for-byte copy of the old hard drive on the new one - this requires specific software).Would you consider building a PC from used parts?
I don't think putting the old hard drive into another computer would work. The HD is on the way out, i think.

If i knew how, i would build a pc from used parts but that woould be way beyond me.

I was hoping for suggestions (manufacturer names, models) on a decent, few years old PC with a Window OS that i might be able to get for a couple of hundred bucks. I don't need fancy. I just need adequate.

And thanks for the reply.

Edited by process8, 24 April 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

Shopping for a used PC isn't the same thing as shopping for a new one. I can give you specifications to look for, but manufacturers and specific models are just too numerous to list. If you have a handful of used PCs you are eyeing I could help you narrow the list a bit, but specs rather than manufacturers matter here.

I would search for a machine that has an Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, AMD A8, or AMD A10 processor if you want it to last.

#5 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

Shopping for a used PC isn't the same thing as shopping for a new one. I can give you specifications to look for, but manufacturers and specific models are just too numerous to list. If you have a handful of used PCs you are eyeing I could help you narrow the list a bit, but specs rather than manufacturers matter here.I would search for a machine that has an Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, AMD A8, or AMD A10 processor if you want it to last.

Hello again, :)

Is this a workable solution for me? It seems to be a used business computer. I saw it on the bay.

The seller is 10 miles from me and offers a 30 day warranty.

It's $195 or best offer. What do you think is a fair price for it given what you see in the description below?

And, before i forget, what would be a fair price for the information/file transfer we (you, really) discussed?

And thank you again for helping me.

Product Information: This Dell OptiPlex PC comes ready for small business needs, supplying speed and expansion capabilities for a long-term investment.

With the Dell OptiPlex 390 desktop, users reap the benefits of the Intel Core i5-2400 processor running at a speed of 3.1 GHz, backed up with 4 GB of RAM for speed and multitasking.

This small-form factor PC offers four DIMM slots to take system memory up to 8 GB for increased multitasking capabilities.

For graphics, this Dell OptiPlex PC carries the Intel HD Graphics 2000 module with Dynamic Video Memory technology, so graphics-intensive programs render seamlessly with efficient power utilization.

The 500 GB hard drive in this Dell OptiPlex 390 desktop affords users space for documents and programs, with quick access thanks to DataBurst Cache and a 7200 RPM spindle speed.

Transferring data across the network with this small-form factor PC is also speedy, thanks to a Gigabit Ethernet interface.

The HDMI-DVI cable translates video signals from the Dell OptiPlex PC to high-definition displays.

Dell Model OptiPlex 390MPN469-0794UPC884116062592 PC Desktop

ProcessorIntel Core i5 2nd Gen. (3.1 GHz) Processor Model Number2400

Motherboard Chipset Intel H61

Express Expansion Slots PCI Express x1 x 1, PCI Express x16 x 1

Installed Cache Memory 6MB

DisplayScreen Size-1"

Hard Drive Capacity 500GB

Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA II

Hard Drive Rotation Speed7200 RPM

Memory Type DDR3-SDRAMMemory (RAM)4GB RAM Max Supported Size8GB

CD / DVDOptical Drive TypeDVD±RW

Video Graphic Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD 2000

Audio OutputLine out, Sound Card

Networking Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

Networking Type Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

DimensionsDepth12 in.Height11 in.Width4 in.Weight13 lb.

Edited by process8, 24 April 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:58 AM

Forgetting that advertising BS on product information (graphic intensive programs, like games or or anything that actually stresses GPU, will run very slowly), actual specs are quite OK for your use. But I cannot see operating system listed. If it's Windows 7, then it's OK.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 25 April 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#7 process8

process8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

Forgetting that advertising BS on product information (graphic intensive programs, like games or or anything that actually stresses GPU, will run very slowly), actual specs are quite OK for your use. But I cannot see operating system listed. If it's Windows 7, then it's OK.

OS is Win 7 Pro.

What's a fair price for it? It's listed for $195 OBO.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

You can do that price, but I would try $150-175 first. Also make sure to reformat the drive and re-install windows, just in case the PC has viruses on it. In fact, I would simply clone your old drive to the new one and use the product key to upgrade the PC to windows 7 from your old XP install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users