Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - Fallout after being suckered?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jen526

Jen526

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Speaking to my dad today, he mentioned he was getting frequent BSOD's, called the 800-number on the BSOD, let them access his machine (where they poked around doing who knows what for an HOUR), and paid them $100, which he was told was "good for a month of virus protection".

I can't get over to his house to start trying to troubleshoot in person until next week.  Anyone know if these scammers make the situation worse while they're logged in, vs. taking their money and (I presume) waiting for the rube to call back for another round the next month?   (Or is it more of a steal-the-credit-card once and not need to bother with repeat customers scenario?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

Most make it worse, and most install malware.

When we see these at work, most have infections (I'd guess about 95 to 99%)

If you can't get there to fix it, either have him take it to a shop to get it checked/fixed or contact a reputable remote service to have a look at it.

Or, you can have him post in the Am I Infected forum for assistance:   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

If the 800 number appeared on the fake BSOD, and if the person he talked to had an East Indian accent, chances are that he was scammed for his money and that is all. What has happened is that next month about the same time, the mysterious BSODs will start appearing again, and for another payment he will be "safe" for another month. Repeat ad-infinitum. The virus is causing the fake BSOD screens; most likely his computer is not crashing at all.

[EDIT]:  As an afterthought, if your Dad paid by credit card, and if you use the malware removal section of this forum, and it finds the virus that is probably on your Dad's computer, copy the removal log and, if possible, get a post from your helper as to the name of the virus removed. Now write your credit card company and challenge the debt with the proof from your virus removal log. Do this immediately before the statement is posted. Just a suggestion. I really hate to see these scumbags get away with this.

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 April 2016 - 10:30 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Jen526

Jen526
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty confident it isn't actually crashing.  I've told them and told them not to believe these things, but I think they get impatient and "don't want to bother me", and voila. *sigh*

Thanks for the feedback.  That's an interesting idea about trying to stop the payment before it goes through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users