Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM Server x3200 M3 // x3500 M3 Raid HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daredavel

daredavel

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I'm kinda new in the IBM server environment and I believe the raid configuration is raid1. I'm planning to replace the other drive as it's starting to develop errors, however I'm not sure if other brands of HDD will work on it. The drive of the server has a label of 'IBM System X' and looking at the model of the drive, it looks like it come from Seagate. If I purchase other brand of enterprise drive (ex. WD, Hitachi), will it run in the IBM server?  

Also, it has a LSI Logic Manager, does this mean that it will automatically rebuild using the new disk (un-formatted or fresh from package) once inserted in the hotswap slot of the damaged drive?

LSI.png

Lastly, the server has two drives, but the other drive doesn't appear in the Disk Management and the type is Basic, which supposedly be in Dynamic considering it is a raid setup or it just a unique feature of IBM servers? Please feel free to enlighten or correct me if I'm mistaken.

LSI2.png

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

A hdd is only a storage device, it is totally blank when you purchase one.  It doesn't matter what make or model you use, but it should have at least the same capacity or larger.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 daredavel

daredavel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

A hdd is only a storage device, it is totally blank when you purchase one.  It doesn't matter what make or model you use, but it should have at least the same capacity or larger.

Thank you for the response. So it will start rebuilding right away after installing? and is it normal that the disc displays as Basic rather than Dynamic? Not to mention that the second drive doesn't appear in the disk management.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

You need to know what RAID level you have installed.  Without letting us know exactly which level is installed I can't help.

If this is RAID 1 it should automatically start rebuilding the array.

You may benefit from reading about RAID 1 here.

The disc needs to be formatted before Windows will see it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 daredavel

daredavel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

You need to know what RAID level you have installed.  Without letting us know exactly which level is installed I can't help.

If this is RAID 1 it should automatically start rebuilding the array.

You may benefit from reading about RAID 1 here.

The disc needs to be formatted before Windows will see it.

Thank you for that. The said drive is actually already a member of the raid1 array using the LSI raid controller.

Is is because we are using a raid controller and not the usual setting up of raid via bios (converting the disk type to Dynamic)?

Edited by daredavel, 25 April 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Please the article I posted the link for.  This should answer all of your questions if you are sure it is Raid 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users