Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gdeb Packet Manager will not install

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

The entire package manager will not install for me.

One of the first things I noticed was I was not asked by Linux for verification a normal part of linux security procedures.

Good for Linux, not so good if the user actually needs one of those packages.  Even if you do not directly use debian many of the other packages and dependencies are need for certain functions in your distro.

I uploaded some screen shots earlier but for some reason they are not at imgur now. IF they are there I can not find them.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:44 AM

Why do you have to install GDebi Package Installer?  Don't you see it under Administration?   It came pre-installed on my Mint Cinnamon...

1461508852.png

Edited by Agouti, 24 April 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

Mine too.

lKjNFJ8.png

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

Maybe Install is the wrong term.  When I click on it I get a window which in any other packet manager I am asked for authentication once authenticated the window will populate with what packages are available.  This does not happen for me.  Which is why I drew my conclusions which may be wrong.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

This is what GDebi Package Installer looks like when I click on it...

1461516063.png

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

Maybe Install is the wrong term.  When I click on it I get a window which in any other packet manager I am asked for authentication once authenticated the window will populate with what packages are available.  This does not happen for me.  Which is why I drew my conclusions which may be wrong.

Sometimes, you will be asked for a password only if it's needed.  Simply listing the installed and available packages should not be a privileged operation.  The act of installing them, sure.  You were not logged in as root, were you?  If so, that could be why no password was asked.  Behind the graphical bits of the package managers, lies the "sudo" command ("do this command as superuser").  There are timeouts and other configurable things with it;  if you recently (say the last half hour) did something with sudo (you had to enter a password), then you won't be asked again.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Agouti that is what I get as well there are 4 tabs opening each one there is no information [they do not populate]

If there is no list of packages how are you supposed to get and install a package?

mrmeski:  If I am the only user should I not automatically be in root? I can understand sudo, its function and need [extra privileges]

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

...there are 4 tabs opening each one there is no information [they do not populate]

If there is no list of packages how are you supposed to get and install a package?

Those tabs aren't suppose to populate when you open the GDebi Package Installer from the Main Menu.  The only time they populate is when you download a Debian package which you want to install.  When you click the package to install it, the Package Installer window (as shown in post #5) will then open and the tabs will be populated with the details from the Debian package you are installing.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

Ok so where am I supposed to get the package from??????? Is not the installer the repository for the packages also or is that my misunderstanding?

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

dannyboy950, the only time I see GDebi Package Installer is when I am installing Debian packages that I download myself.  For example, if I download the .deb installer for Master PDF Editor and install it by double-click on the .deb file, the Package Installer window will open.  I may be wrong, but I don't think the GDebi Package Installer is suppose to list packages from the repositories.  That is not how it works.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Thank you that explains a lot.  I just googled debian debian repositories and that is pretty much what I also found. So Gdeb is only the installer not the actual repository.

That also confuses me even more why do some other programs /apps want/need something debian when I do not use debian at all that I am aware of, unless part of

mint cinnamon rosa uses parts of debian.

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

The entire package manager will not install for me.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612096/gdeb-packet-manager-will-not-install/#entry3985995

Gdebi should be pre-installed on Linux Mint 17.x Cinnamon (as others have stated). You can find it in the main menu at "/Administration/GDebi Package Installer" If you wish to reinstall Gdebi you can do so using Apt-Get.

How To Re-install Gedebi:
1. Open your terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gdebi

If you haven't updated your package lists recently you may need to run "sudo apt-get update" first. If you aren't sure, then update it, as you can update your package list as often as you wish.

One of the first things I noticed was I was not asked by Linux for verification a normal part of linux security procedures.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612096/gdeb-packet-manager-will-not-install/#entry3985995

When I click on it I get a window which in any other packet manager I am asked for authentication once authenticated the window will populate with what packages are available.  This does not happen for me.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612096/gdeb-packet-manager-will-not-install/#entry3986056

I take it you have found Gdebi, and are referring to Gdebi not prompting for authentication. Gdebi will not prompt unless you try to do something with a package, because that is a task that requires elevated privilidges.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612096/gdeb-packet-manager-will-not-install/#entry3986113

Ok so where am I supposed to get the package from??????? Is not the installer the repository for the packages also or is that my misunderstanding?
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612096/gdeb-packet-manager-will-not-install/#entry3986147

Gdebi is not that type of package-manager. It serves to install a DEB package that you have locally. Once you load a package to install, it will display details about the package.

Example Screenshot Of Leafpad Package In Gdebi:

MYN8khg.png

If you want to browse the available software in the repositories you've got enabled on your system you could use MintInstall, which is listed in the main menu at "/Administration/Software Manager". It will allow you to browse, search, install, and uninstall.

Example Screenshot Of MintInstall:

S9ORYJi.png

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

That also confuses me even more why do some other programs /apps want/need something debian when I do not use debian at all that I am aware of, unless part of

mint cinnamon rosa uses parts of debian.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu which is in turn based on Debian.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

Thanks all I have a better understanding now. The confusion was my own as I have found and pointed out to me.

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:34 AM

@dannyboy950:

This video I put together may assist in reinforcing the above input:

I've used Unetbootin as the subject of the exercise, since you are familiar with it.

So in summary, if you are installing a new package that is held in the Linux Mint (& by inference could be in the Ubuntu) repositories, you can get it through using -

• Synaptic Package Manager or
  • Software Centre

Likewise you can remove it from there.

If you choose to later reinstall, and the package is wrapped in a .deb, you can use either of the above methods

OR

The .debs are stored after install, in /var/cache/apt/archives and that is where I went in the video. Once I located the one for Unetbootin, I simply double-clicked, and the GDebi Package Installer handled the rest.

If you, yourself, actively download a .deb package from the Internet (as Agouti illustrated referring Master PDF) you will likely have it saved to /Downloads, and you would "GDebi it" from there.

Hope this helps

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users