Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to filter files by date downloaded?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:03 AM

Hey guys, I downloaded some file off the net on two days [Friday and yesterday] all into one folder. Now I would like to separate the files downloaded for each day so I choose "date received" from the 'sort by' option in explorer but I am not seeing any results for that, any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

Why are you not using the "date modified" column for sort order that shows up in File Explorer by default.   Unless you've been modifying the files in some way since downloading them the date modified should be the date-time their respective downloads completed.

If this is going to be a need going forward, and the files in question will be tweaked on many occasions after acquisition, consider using date-time as a part of their names, e.g., 2016-04-24_0031_Rest_of_File_Name.   

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

When you add new columns to the Explorer window, they will be added to the right as shown by the green arrow in the screenshot below.  In order to make the new column appear in the existing Explorer window, you must resize the other columns.  To do so, point at the separator between the Name and Date modified columns.  When the cursor changes to "+" with double arrowheads, click and drag the separator to the left until the new column appears.

HukOxb5.png

Edited by Agouti, 24 April 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

@ mystic12

Try this...
Open File Explorer,

Open the folder you've downloaded to.

From the toolbar select View > select Details.

Click the dropdown Group by and select Date created.

Results will be displayed Earlier this month and Earlier this year.

Hope this helps!

Old Rocker

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

Please see attached screenshot, I am not seeing a 'date modified ' option in explorer. http://imgur.com/k9DJNXd

I am not seeing how file explorer will show the files which were downloaded separately on Friday and saturday?

Also before anyone here should bring up any copyright issues, traxsource is a paid music subscription service with a legal section in the TOS which states their artists are paid for their music so no file here is from youtube or any other 'free' net download.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

Well, you were not explicit about being in music folders, which have different display defaults.   As you can see from your own screen shot, there is no actual data in "date received" and, thus, you can't sort on it.

Simply move you mouse anywhere in the title row and right click.  You will be presented with the columns that you can choose to display in relation to those files.  Uncheck "date received" and check "date modified."  Once date modified is showing you can sort it in ascending or descending order just like any other column.  If this isn't the sort order you'd prefer on a permanent basis then click back on the column on which you wish to sort and make sure that you've got the ascending/descending arrow going the direction that you want it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

Well, you were not explicit about being in music folders, which have different display defaults. 

Simply move you mouse anywhere in the title row and right click. 

sorry I did not think it would make a difference in which folder a file would be located, It's not in any default folder of the pc or traxsource, I simply created a new folder on the pc to send the files to.

Sorry I am not understanding what you mean by "title row"?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

In the case of your screen shot the title row/heading row contains:  Name, #, Title, Contributing artists, Album . . .

There are differences in what the title/heading row defaults are based upon the type of files stored in certain libraries.  Media libraries get their own defaults which are quite different than if you open File Explorer and choose to explore your C: drive, for instance.  I have yet to see a File Explorer default for the header row on "normal" file folders be anything other than:  Name, Date Modified, Type, Size.  If you want anything other than that, or to eliminate any of the things displayed by default, you have to right click on the header row and select/deselect to suit your wishes (and Name must always be shown).  If yours is showing something other than the previously mentioned four fields for a typical (read: not media files) folder on your system then someone customized it.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

let me go in slomo here, bear with me please, this is what I am seeing when I right click on the 'title' in the header, please advise me from there? http://imgur.com/oZJckYX

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

mystic12, it's not your doing that the folder is showing these columns.  Windows detects what kind of files you have in the folder and automatically "optimizes" the folder to suit.  If you change the folder to "General Items" you will see the default columns.

1461515568.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

Yes, and you see blue checkboxes, checked, next to each and every column that's shown in your header row with the exception of "Name", which must be shown.

Click on "Date Received" to uncheck it since it's a data-free column and check the box next to Date Modified.

You will now have "Date Modified" showing where "Date Received" had been.

It appears, based on the little "descending chevron" that's on display in your "Title" column that you are currently sorting on that column in descending order (Z to A).  If you click on any other column in the header row that becomes the sort column, whether it's ascending or descending by default depends on the column.  One need only click on the ascending chevron to toggle to descending order or vice versa.

All you will do to find files downloaded in the recent past is to click on the "Date Modified" column once you're displaying it and sort it in descending order so that the newest files (or folders, if you've got those, too - and they'll appear above the files) show first.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

mystic12, it's not your doing that the folder is showing these columns.  Windows detects what kind of files you have in the folder and automatically "optimizes" the folder to suit.  If you change the folder to "General Items" you will see the default columns.

1461515568.png

The problem being that one would not generally want "General file" defaults on Media files.  It's far easier to right click on your header row and tweak to get what you want and get rid of what you don't.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

The point I was trying to make is Windows automatically "optimizes" the folder based on the type of files in it.  Of course, you can add whichever columns you want but I was trying to explain to mystic12 that nobody "customized" the folder.

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

Ok but not seeing how to get to that 'download properties' box to select the General option?

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

1. Right-click on the folder.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Click the Customize tab.
  4. Click in the box under Optimize this folder for:
  5. Select General Items.