Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS battery really required? - some issues...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

When my battery in my 1st PC was very low or even exhausted the computer date was completely back years of course.

I found that I got the messages saying that web certificates were invalid and couldn't proceed.

So by updating  the time all was well, no certificates problem. I did this for a couple of years. This was with XP.

Later having a new PC I stored that old one away and took out that battery in case of leakage. Now I am trying to get Linux on that old one (now Win 7) without the battery. 

The certificate warning comes up even when I have updated the time - why?

Also I cannot boot from a CD/DVD. (It auto reverts to HDD boot up). Also trying to make an ISO file in the DVD Rom drive I get the Message that, The DVD drive is not compatible with the media' (or words to that effect).

Is all this due to having no battery in the CMOS?  Any advice please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

Yes it is.  The CMOS battery keeps the clock ticking AND maintains all of the settings you can change in the BIOS.  Here; though, you can get them at Dollar Tree so why would you want to need to run setup every time you turn it on?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for clarifying that - I had an inkling this probably was the case. Must get a battery now.

We don't have Dollar Tree in the UK but apparently it is in the 'same' style as Poundland where every item costs £1.

Edited by zzzz, 24 April 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

'Installed' a new battery which has solved the certificates glitch but the computer will still not boot from the optical drive!

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

If its a Dell PC, go into setup (F2), and verify that the SATA channel is on if it is a SATA DVD or that the controller mode is set for combination if the CD/DVD drive is PATA/IDE.
If that don't get it, I need the make and model of the PC?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:26 PM

I appreciate your offer of help but my model is a pretty old machine from a defunct company but here goes:-

It's a TIME PC called a 'Time HomePro Range PC'.  bought in 2004

HDD is WDC WD800BB-00FRA0 with firmware 77.07W77 (That's all I have to hand at the moment)

I'm not using that particular computer right now and more info would be useful (such as the optical drive specs etc.)  I'll get more via Speccy when I switch that one on tomorrow morning.

I'd like to give a screenshot of the BIOS screen (which is rather complex compared with my other computers) but I can only use my camera to take a shot of that I think - no other way? Alt/Print  Screen won't work there will it?

(Actually I think I'm being spooked as this newer PC wouldn't boot today using a WIN 10 iso DVD - had no trouble on previous occasions on other jobs).

Perhaps this is all off topic so should start another thread, yes?

Edited by zzzz, 26 April 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:32 AM

I'm making a new topic called 'Cannot boot from my optical drive'.

Edited by zzzz, 27 April 2016 - 04:33 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

Topic closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users