Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean wipe - start over - recovery disk ran. Windows xp media. no online

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

I ran Recovery disk on my old Toshiba A105 laptop the other day. Windows xp media center addition, 2002, service pack 2.

It will not go online. I had set it to automatically detect the network connection settings. Those look okay, although, admittedly, if something were wrong I may not be able to detect it. SSL2, SSL3 and TLS1 are all checked. Searching for a solution, I found a reference to needing service packs 2/3. Although it states in System Properties "service Pack 2", that s.p. is not listed in add/remove programs, like it and s.p. 3 used to be.

I know very little about computers. Do you folks concur that i.e. will not work at all without those service packs? I see that service packs are available on cd/dvd from ebay. Is that the best way to get what I need? With xp, might I just as well light money on fire and watch it burn, (since there is no more support anyway)?

Any other ideas? Any and all suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank You!

Old_Feller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

You need to download and install SP3 before trying anything to get your internet back. You can download it on another computer and install using a flash drive. Microsoft does not seem to offer SP3 anymore but you can download it here. Once SP3 is downloaded and installed look for any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. If they are present post back.

I would recommend you do not use this computer for purchasing anything or using it to access any banking accounts. XP is now unsupported with security updates and has known security flaws. 

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thank you JohnC_21. I will do this and post progress.

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

JohnC_21

When trying to save sp3, I got an error message: "Service Pack 3 setup cannot update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version of service pack 3, or vice versa."

Edited by Old_Feller, 24 April 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:25 PM

I am not sure how you obtained a checked build (for developers) of XP but see this page for a possible solution.

#6 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

I simply clicked the download and that's what it gave me. twice. Thanks, I'll try the new one.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

See if this SP3 link works. The link I provided for SP3 may have been for the checked build. Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

#8 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

Progress! But now, Windows will not start normally. I can go into safe mode, and even open i.e.... But as soon as I try to open a page I get an error: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Exception Information

Code: 0x80000003  Flags 0x00000000

Record: 0x0000000000000000  Address:  0x000000007ee548b4

System Information

Windows NT 5.1 Build 2600

CPU Vendor Code: 756E6547    - 49656E69 - 6C65746E

CPU Version: 000006E8  CPU Feature Code: BFE9FBFF

etc etc   ....   (there is much info and apparently I cannot copy/paste)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following files will be included in this error report

C:\DOCUME~1\TIMBOH~1\LOCALS~1Temp\8312_8312_appcompat.txt

#9 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:41 PM

By the way, I didn't go to the second download link. I used the fix (possible solution) and then downloaded the first one. That may be what is wrong...I guess....

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

Looking at the first link of SP3 I believe this is the final version of SP3 identical to the second link.

If you enter Safe Mode with Networking does Internet Explorer still crash?

#11 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

Yes, it does. To be clear, if s.p. 2 is actually installed on this computer, I can't find it.  Does 3 need 2 to function? ... Also I was wondering, is there a way to install one of the other net surfing systems without using i.e. to aquire it? Like, could I put Google Chrome on the computer by copying it onto a disk and then putting it on the computer I'm working on from that disk?

I've removed s.p. 3 and am going to reinstall it, just in case something may have gone wrong with the original download. Grasping at straws.... Thank you very much for the help you've been giving me.

Edited by Old_Feller, 25 April 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Chrome no longer supports XP. You can try Firefox but if IE crashes in Safe Mode I think something major is causing the problem. I would suggest running a sfc /scannow but you cannot do this using your install disks as you now have SP3. If SP3 is gone then try sfc /scannow at a command prompt which will look for missing and/or corrupt system files. Windows XP media center edition is kind of a weird duck. If I am not mistaken, it was on two install disks. 

I don't know if it will help but here is a guide on doing a clean install using XP Media Center Edition.

How do you plan on using this computer, for basic browsing and email? How much Ram does the computer have?

Yes, you can download firefox on another computer and install it on the XP computer. Just get the full installer instead of the stub installer on the Firefox site which requires an internet connection to complete the install. 

Edit: It may be better to clean install again and then connect to the internet using a wifi dongle to update XP with the latest security updates. After installing Firefox see if you can connect via Ethernet.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#13 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

I just noticed, the service pack that is on my F: drive (removable) is named " windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-debug-enu.exe "

Wouldn't that be a checked build? Nevertheless, when I use the solution you offered yesterday at 7:25 PM, it saves onto the computer. 

I just reloaded that version of sp3 and now it won't boot into normal operation, again.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

Yes, you do not want the debug SP3. You want the SP3 in my second link. Sorry for the problem. I did not know there was a debug version of SP3 from majorgeeks.

I think downloading and installing this debug version of SP3 is the cause of your problems. I would recommend a clean install of your XP SP2 and then the install of SP3 from majorgeeks

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 April 2016 - 11:43 AM.

#15 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

I was trying to fix this old computer up for my brother. He only would use it to surf internet and maybe email. It has 2GB RAM. I've never done sfc/scannow. Are you saying that as long as there is sp3 installed, that would not work?

I don't think I can get latest security updates for xp, can I? It is not supported...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users