Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unetbootin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

Unetbootin.

Thanks to Nick for this tool. This is about my experiences trying to use this tool.

Nick provided an excellent mini tute but a lot of info, let me print these out. Oops no working printer yet. Moving on.

The tool itself has a tute and help files but there too a lot of info, so I tried using it with the help page open but I guess I missed a step or 2.

Mint has that tool available as a package but it is an older version. So I tried to DL the latest version but it saya I need to install some additional package. Syslinux is the name and I found that also but when I install the package I get a message not all dependancies installed. Yet I can use the tool once I close out the message. Possibly a bug? Now from all I read this should be an easy tool to use but for me it did not turn out that way. Just not sure why.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

Mint has that tool available as a package but it is an older version. So I tried to DL the latest version but it saya I need to install some additional package.

That's the one you want. Installing outside the repos is not recommended and can make your system unstable when trying to meet all the dependencies.

Unetbootin is as point & click simple as can be.

http://unetbootin.github.io/#install

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

Raw the link you posted is the same info Nick provided which is where I found out about unetbootin to begin with.

The updated version I refer to is from the developers website. I would think that should be secure and work out of the box.

Perhaps wrongly because it would not work correctly as I have previously outlined.

While I have unetbootin installed on my desk top I can not get it to work right.  As you say it should be an easy point and click.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Unetbootin.

The tool itself has a tutorial and help files but there too a lot of info, so I tried using it with the help page open but I guess I missed a step or 2.  So you tried the one from the Mint Repositories first, that you installed via the Package Manager?  Like raw said, stick with the Software Manager if possible, if not ask for help so as not to mess up your Cinnamon Install.  What Step do you think you messed up, maybe we can answer why?

Mint has that tool available as a package but it is an older version. So I tried to DL the latest version but it say I need to install some additional package. Syslinux is the name and I found that also but when I install the package I get a message not all dependancies installed. Yet I can use the tool once I close out the message. Possibly a bug? Now from all I read this should be an easy tool to use but for me it did not turn out that way. Just not sure why.  Exactly how did you do this, with the commands from that site?  If so, did you Uninstall the Original first?

Remember to always Copy Terminal Errors to a Word or Text Document, and take any notes that may help you get answers.

What version does it say you have installed in SPM?  And look at the bottom Left to see if there are any Broken Packages.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 April 2016 - 03:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

Dannyboy, maybe this will help.

NOTE: Make sure your USB is formatted to FAT32.

1. Chose Diskimage.

2. BROWSE to the iso in your Folders, it will show up to the Left of the BROWSE Button.  Note: It does not say BROWSE, I added that for you.

3. Make sure the USB is detected and the drive letter matches.

4. Press OK and wait for it to finish.  It will take about 8min give or take.

mpOdrGM.jpg

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

dannyboy950, I seem to remember asking whether your computer is using BIOS or UEFI.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Unetbootin can create a bootable USB for UEFI systems.  If you made a bootable USB with Unetbootin, you can still boot from it but you have to turn of Secure Boot and switch to CSM first.

#7 The Feet

The Feet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Unetbootin is a fine tool , but there are several other equally good ones, eg Rufus , LiLi , Pendrive , Win32 Disk Imager

For reasons I can't explain , some of these just naturally work better with certain Linux  distros.

If one of them doesn't do the business , I just try again with the next one , and I've done this more times

than I could possibly count , and I always got there in the end ....

.... there is something definitely "witchy" about it.

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Unless you have a reason to go outside the default repos, I recommend sticking with them. Anytime you go outside the default repos it means more work and responsibility for you, not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Syslinux is pre-installed on Linux Mint 17.x Cinnamon, but Unetbootin will not detect it unless the package "extlinux" has been installed. Not sure which methods of installation you've been using but Unetbootin requires p7zip-full, and extlinux to be installed, neither of which is pre-installed on Linux Mint 17.x Cinnamon. You can install them using:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full extlinux

Other dependencies (including syslinux) should already be pre-installed on Linux Mint 17.x Cinnamon, but if not, try installing them from the default repos.

Related Links:

https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595563/unetbootin-acting-up/#entry3858680

Edited by hollowface, 24 April 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

@Agouti  This could well be why it won't boot.  My PC USES UEFI SO I may need to disable fast boot again.

@all some miss comunication may be happening, I successfully created a usb stick of mint mate 2 days ago it just will not boot from the usb stick.

@hollowface  Yes I seem to still need syslinux and exllinux packages to make unetbootin quit complaining. I did go get them but the program seems not to recognise it has them. lol

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

@Agouti  This could well be why it won't boot.  My PC USES UEFI SO I may need to disable fast boot again.

Like I said, turn off Secure Boot and turn on CSM before you boot from the flash drive.  You'll never get it to boot unless you do that.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

Ok working on it boss.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

Make sure you revert the settings when you are done using the flash drive.

BTW, there is a possibility you may be able to set your UEFI to CSM and still be able to boot from UEFI first.  That's how I have my own computer set up.  In normal use, I can boot from Linux Mint (which was installed in UEFI mode), however, I can also boot from legacy media whenever I want.  I simply hit F12 during startup to bring up the Boot menu then select the legacy medium to boot from.  I don't have to be messing in the firmware all the time.

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

Good tip Agouti.  By the way this is being posted from Mint Mate.  WoooooHHHHooooo

I will have some observation on a new post

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

@dannyboy, I gotta know, did you actually install the newest version?  Open Synaptic Package Manager and take a look at the version.  The old is 585 I think, the new one will be 613 something.  Good to see you got this going.  It's a lot of fun running these to see what we might like for our next distro.  Remember, they will run slower this way and can be a little buggy.  Don't let this reflect how you think of Mate, or any other distro.  All/most of the internal functions should be pretty good, internet will be slow, and Software Manager etc. will be a little slow.  Way better than a DVD though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

PCpunk sorry for the delay.  Yes the version I installed was in the lower 600's so 12 to 16 probably I just do not remember for sure

Will be a few days maybe. I will have to boot back into cinnamon to know for shure. Not ready to do that yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users