to the Bleeping Computer Am I Infected? - What Do I Do? Forum. My name is Phil. I would like to address you by your first name if that is alright with you, since we will be working together.
I think that we should run a few preliminary security scans on your computer and see how seriously your partner's computer might be compromised by malware.
ESET Online Scanner using Internet Explorer:
Note 1: These instructions are for Internet Explorer only! If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you will need to download and install the ESET Smart Installer tool before it can scan. See instructions here.
Note 2: You will need to disable your currently installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be found here.
*Click this link to open ESET OnlineScan.
* When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
* In the new window that opens, tic the radio button next to Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
* Then click "Advanced settings", and make sure there is a checkmark next to only the following items (uncheck everything else):
- Remove found threats
- Scan archives
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth technology
*Then click the button and ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
*When the scan completes, click List Found Threats (only if anything is found).
*Then click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
*Click , then click to exit ESET Online Scanner.
Don't forget to re-enable your antivirus when finished!
Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
- Double-click mbam-setup-2.2.*.****.exe and follow the prompts to install the program ( * = program version numbers may vary - always get the latest version).
- At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
- Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
- Click Finish.
- On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
- After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
- Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
- If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
- A Threat Scan will begin.
- When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
- In most cases, a restart will be required.
- Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.
- After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
- Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
- Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
- Click 'Copy to Clipboard
- Paste the contents of the clipboard into your next reply.
I would like you to copy and paste the logs from both scans into your next reply. I will examine those and determine what our next step should be. If there is evidence of serious infection, you might have to open a new thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs Forum, but let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. Many less serious issues can be solved right here, in this Forum.
If I haven't responded to your reply in 24 hours, please send me a personal message.
Have a great day.