Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre behavior of HP 6525 Photosmart printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:47 PM

Problem: trying to print high quality prints on letter-sized photo paper; the first print is properly located on the paper, the next one is shifted at least one inch to the left (so part of the image is off the paper, and there's a broad white band at the right; the next image is displaced another inch to the left; and so on.  This occurs even when printing one image at a time with minutes, hours or even days between.  I am using Kirkland "Professional Glossy Inkjet" paper.  Printer settings are letter size, premium plus photo paper, best quality print.  I do not really want to have to power off the entire network in order to reset the printer to zero position after printing each picture (I am trying to produce a presentation set of 25 or 30 photographs).  The "print preview" shows each image correctly positioned on the paper (the JPEG images are 6016 x 4016 pixels, so in landscape mode they occupy the full length but not the full width of the paper, there's about an inch of white space along what is the bottom in landscape orientation) but what prints is an image displaced to the left by one inch, then two inches, then three inches and so on.  Apart from wasting a lot of expensive photo paper this is very annoying and I have no idea how to fix it.

I should mention that I have to reset the printer characteristics for each picture, they return to their default values (plain paper, good quality print) after printing each photo.  I don't mind doing that, but why can't I also reset the print position to its default (centered on the paper) instead of having it shift an inch to the left after each consecutive print - as I say, even when I print each photo separately with a time interval between?  In fact I am not even sure how to reset the image position to its original value - the print preview shows each picture properly positioned on the paper, but what prints is shifted an inch to the left after each consecutive print.  I did get it shifted back to normal ONCE, but that  involved doing a number of other unrelated things over several days and rebooting both computer and printer several times for reasons unrelated to the photo printing problem.  When printing text material or images from Web sites on plain paper, all images are correctly positioned on the paper.  When printing "best" quality on photo paper, the first image is correctly positioned, but each subsequent one is displaced one inch to the left from the previous image - although the "print preview" shows them all correctly positioned.

I should point out that since I am printing in landscape mode each image is actually displaced one inch "earlier", relative to the print direction, from the previous one.  It's as if each successive sheet of paper was fed one inch later relative to the print output.

EDIT - I should have mentioned the computer in question is a Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 10 Professional (though I think the problem first started when i was running Win 7 Pro, before the Win 10 upgrade).  Perhaps I should try upgrading the printer software?  Last time I tried there was nothing to upgrade . . .

EDIT again - oops!  I forgot to mention that I am printing from IrfanView - that is, I select the photo in IrfanView and then select "Print" . . . dunno if that should make a difference, I never had this problem before but this is the first time I tried to print on full letter size photo paper and select "Best" print quality.

Any ideas?  This is maddening!

Edited by saluqi, 24 April 2016 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

I remember I had a problem printing from Irfanview quite a while ago and I now cannot remember exactly what the problem was !  So I have just printed a couple of landscape images I took a week ago which were taken with the same camera. I didn't quite repeat your experiment, I used draft quality printing and ordinary paper for economy.

Both images are reasonably centred on the page with a left and right margin of about 3mm and a top and bottom margin of about 5mm. There is a slight difference in the margins between the two images - both vertical and horizontal - but only about 1mm of variance. Nothing like your inch.

I would be inclined to try printing from a different application to determine if it is an Irfanview or a printer problem. If nothing else, I know Win 7 included the MS Paint package but I don't know Win 10 well enough to say if it has a simple graphics editor built in or not. If you don't have one then there is always Gimp, a free fairly advanced image editor which you can get here -

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

Things have been really hectic at work here, but now I got a minute to update.  I got good support from HP, but it didn't really solve the problem.  What did solve the problem was 1) uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and its software (that was one of HP's suggestions) and 2) cleaning the paper handling rollers (that was the real key).  The root of the problem was that the paper was slipping on the pickup rollers; cleaning them fixed that.  I have just printed some photos from IrfanView; they printed perfectly, correctly aligned and with the correct borders etc.  So problem solved.  This is a very dusty place (I am in the middle of thousands of acres of farm fields) and very likely those rollers had collected enough dust that they slipped when picking up the paper.  I am still using the Kirkland paper from COSTCO.  HP sent me a box of their everyday photo paper; that is slightly lighter than the Kirkland paper, which is a premium grade.  The HP paper is 200 g/m2, 53 lb.; the COSTCO paper is 225 g/m2, 69 lb.  Curious, because when reading the specs online I thought the HP paper was heavier?

Win 10 has Windows Picture Viewer.  While on the phone with HP I tried that, it seemed to work OK.  I suppose Gimp may be more capable than IrfanView?  though I have had no problems with the latter so far (I'm not doing anything very fancy, and I do have a somewhat outdated version of Photoshop to fall back on at need).  I'll give Gimp a try when I find time.

While uninstalling and reinstalling the printer I switched its connection from WiFi to hard wired, since the hard wire was already there anyway.  Previously it had appeared both as hard wired and as (wirelessly) networked.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Glad you got it solved. Dust always creates problems, Itmight even be worth having a look at your computere heat sinks and fans.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users