Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with adding a hard drive on to a Win 2003 Server

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eltrom

eltrom

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

I need to upgrade the hdd but I kinda don't have the experience, I have no problem with Windows PCs but this is a windows server and it's the 2003 release with Active Directory so I need help.

I'm guessing what I need to do are as follow:

- Slap the new hdd in to the server on an open SATA/SAS port and attach the power cable.

- Go to Computer Management to format and create a new volume out of the hdd.

-

-

I don't know what to do in the next steps but I need the new hdd/volume to be accessible by the current users, do I need to change something in the Active Directory Users and Computers / Group Policy Management as well?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by eltrom, 23 April 2016 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

Do you currently have file sharing on the server?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:07 PM

Do you currently have file sharing on the server?

I'm unsure but It looked like every user could access the C drive from their respective workstation

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

I hope it's just a folder on the C: drive and not the entire drive. If it is they could cripple the server very easily. That being said, physically install and format the drive. Create a shared folder on the drive (let's call it Share2) right click and share the folder. Change the share permissions to the "Everyone" group to read, list folder contents and remove write access. Also under share permissions Add "authenticated users" giving them full access. Do the same under the security tab for both groups. Also don't forget to add the Administrative group if it's not already. This group has full access and includes the domain admin account.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 April 2016 - 07:25 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

I hope it's just a folder on the C: drive and not the entire drive. If it is they could cripple the server very easily. That being said, physically install and format the drive. Create a shared folder on the drive (let's call it Share2) right click and share the folder. Change the share permissions to the "Everyone" group to read, list folder contents and remove write access. Also under share permissions Add "authenticated users" giving them full access. Do the same under the security tab for both groups. Also don't forget to add the Administrative group if it's not already. This group has full access and includes the domain admin account.

Is mapping the new shared drive/folder needs to be done on client's workstations every time afterwards or they can already see the new shared drive/folder right after they log on? Anyway thanks a lot friend, I'm gonna do it tomorrow, wish me luck :)

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

They will see the drive by browsing to \\servername or you can create a logon script in group policy to map the shared folder to a drive letter. 

Use notepad and copy and paste the following command. Replace "Z" with a drive letter of your choice and servername\Share2 with the actual name of the server and shared folder. Then save it as logon.bat. Here are the instructions to assign the batch file as a logon script. 

net use z: \\servername\shared folder

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 April 2016 - 12:05 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

Server drives should be in a fault tolerant raid array.

If already in a raid array depending on raid controller you can add the new drive to the array and gain space and fault tolerance for the existing volume.

#8 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

Okay, I have done as Sneakycyber said and it worked, there was a pain in the ars tho, the server model was HP Proliant ML110 G5 and it once went no signal with all of its fans spinning loud after I tried to get the drive hooked up, had to restart like countless times until it finally came back. Stressful situation indeed. The server had no raid at all so I left it that way for simplicity's sake lol. I'm wondering tho, does Windows Server 2003 support 3TB hard drives? Thank you my friends for saving my life

Edited by eltrom, 25 April 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

No server 2003 does not support GPT so you will need to partition the drive into 2 partitions 1.5 Tb in size. 

"The 2-TB barrier is the result of this 32-bit limitation. Because the maximum number that can be represented by using 32-bits is 4,294,967,295, this translates to 2.199 TB of capacity by using 512-byte sectors (approximately 2.2 TB). Therefore, a capacity beyond 2.2 TB is not addressable by using the MBR partitioning scheme."

Taken from HERE

If you have no Raid configuration I hope you have good redundant backups!

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:35 AM

No server 2003 does not support GPT so you will need to partition the drive into 2 partitions 1.5 Tb in size. 

"The 2-TB barrier is the result of this 32-bit limitation. Because the maximum number that can be represented by using 32-bits is 4,294,967,295, this translates to 2.199 TB of capacity by using 512-byte sectors (approximately 2.2 TB). Therefore, a capacity beyond 2.2 TB is not addressable by using the MBR partitioning scheme."

Taken from HERE

If you have no Raid configuration I hope you have good redundant backups!

They use external hard drives for their backups, btw can a usb external hard drive attached to the server be shared with users over the network? I'm thinking of using an orico external hdd docking with a 3tb hard drive for the new shared folder /:

Edited by eltrom, 26 April 2016 - 04:36 AM.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

Anything the server can see can be shared. 

#12 eltrom

eltrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

Thanks a lot for the help!, God bless!

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer