Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Move is on...Linux on hdd to SSD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

As per usual I will attempt to cut through the ....ummm....quagmire ....to try and find a 'simple' approach to doing this transition.

(The intention is to install a ssd with my current copy of LM 17.3 transferred to it)

I have purchased a 128GB ssd (in the mail as we speak/type..)

I have a C drive which has been partitioned in such a way to allow win 10 and linux mint 17.3 Cinnamon to reside on the same hdd

I know which is which......dex/sda4 refers to Linux....108GB

/sda2 is windows 10...133GB

My intention is to use the ssd for Linux mint os. I have a 2nd hdd (D:) which will serve as the workhorse....(any downloads of a size that I decide need to go to a larger storage space will be sent to it)

The original C drive will become a spare.

I had a thought that maybe I could do a fresh install of LM on the new ssd, and then apply a 'backup' to the new install taken from my current LM install......which would 'overlay' my software setup and settings.....

I have no clue what the hell I am talking about here....

Enlighten me please !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:52 AM

Hi CB

Go to http://www.teejeetech.in/  and have a read about Aptik (will backup your settings) and Timeshift (acts like Windows Restore Points also has a cloning feature).

At Tony's (Tony George is teejeetech, HQ'ed out of India) site, you can read about Timeshift from the right nav bar, under Home.

NickAu first introduced us to Aptik here, and I introduced Timeshift a few days later here. Back in 2014.

Suggested reading with Timeshift includes here.

If you choose to take Tony's instructions, they are a bit wonky - better is to copy and paste from here:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa ; \sudo apt-get update ; \sudo apt-get install aptik timeshift

If you only want to install one, just delete the other, but I suggest both Aptik AND Timeshift.

Enjoy

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - the youtube video referenced on Timeshift is still a current link, uses "aptitude" instead of "apt-get install"

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

Just got to read those articles in detail.

Brilliant

Thanks mate.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Hope they're what you are looking for ... I think they can be. Sing out with any questions.

:wizardball: Wiz

#5 Linux_User

Linux_User

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

My way of doing this would be to use a tool such as clonezilla to copy the Linux partition(s) from the HDD to the SSD .. then reinstall GRUB

there are multiple other ways to do this

a) just tarball everything, then untar it all in the new partition on the SSD (probably ignoring /proc) .. reinstall GRUB, and adjust the partition UUID's in fstab

B) same as (a) but use rsync to copy everything .. reinstall GRUB, and adjust the partition UUID's in fstab

are a couple that spring to mind .. but clonezilla should be able to either clone/resize the partitions on the fly, or at worst clone the parttitions, then you can manually resize them with gparted.

My point is .. because your Linux partition will fit on the SSD "as is", this should be pretty easy.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:13 AM

@Condobloke:

Mate, I don't know that you have mentioned to us in any of your associated Topics which “flavour” of Mint 17.3 Rosa you are using – is it Mate, Cinnamon, KDE or other?

And how are you doing?

I'm working on a long post which won't go to waste if you have already employed a solution, but before I reinvent the wheel here, just thought I would check on your state of the nation.

I'd also like to address in more detail the options provided above by Linux_User, all of which are very pertinent and relevant options, but with different levels of complexity.

Would also be handy to know if you have had any experience with Clonezilla, which is an open-source cross-platform tool covering Windows, Mac, Linux & BSD?

A little reading (on-site) on Clonezilla can be found here, if you are prepared to wade through the chitchat. I have yet to update it with my travels over Christmas/New Year, whereby I used it to move a very large Distro between three computers.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - Timeshift, which I referred to, is built upon "rsync", which Linux_User has mentioned above.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:30 AM

@Condobloke:

Mate, I don't know that you have mentioned to us in any of your associated Topics which “flavour” of Mint 17.3 Rosa you are using – is it Mate, Cinnamon, KDE or other?

G'day Wiz, the flavor is Cinnamon....I dislike the ;green', but I will work on that at another time

And how are you doing?

Thanks for asking...I am doing better than ok....recently remarried to a woman 1/2 my age and having an absolute ball....the diabetes is under control......and we are actually making a quid.

Life in Condo stays much the same day to day, and that is just the way I like it.

I'm working on a long post which won't go to waste if you have already employed a solution, but before I reinvent the wheel here, just thought I would check on your state of the nation.

I'd also like to address in more detail the options provided above by Linux_User, all of which are very pertinent and relevant options, but with different levels of complexity.

I have no experience with clonezilla at all....in fact up until a month or so ago very little experience with anything related to Linux at all.

I have read about Aptik and to a lesser extent about Timeshift.....they sound good...I will be able to handle my situation easily with the use of those I am sure. 

I will be moving my linux mint 17.3 Cinnamon to a slightly larger space than that which it occupies now (96GB to 128GB)....so there should be no major problems in that regard.....and I may even 'shrink' the partition it resides on as the ssd will only hold Linux itself plus a few programs and the bits and pieces associated with them.....any downloads of any substance will be sent to a hdd, which is used solely for that purpose.

The only hold up here is the snail like performance of Australia Post....and the crowd i bought the ssd through on ebay.....they move at a pace similar to death warmed up....

Later...

Brian

Would also be handy to know if you have had any experience with Clonezilla, which is an open-source cross-platform tool covering Windows, Mac, Linux & BSD?

A little reading (on-site) on Clonezilla can be found here, if you are prepared to wade through the chitchat. I have yet to update it with my travels over Christmas/New Year, whereby I used it to move a very large Distro between three computers.

Cheers

BTW - Timeshift, which I referred to, is built upon "rsync", which Linux_User has mentioned above.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

just to clear away a few more cobwebs....

Is it possible to do what I suggested in post #1   ?.......

I had a thought that maybe I could do a fresh install of LM on the new ssd, and then apply a 'backup' to the new install taken from my current LM install......which would 'overlay' my software setup and settings.....( i would be selective in what i "overlaid")....

Will this work ??....or am I having a dream...??....wishful thinking,...??

#9 Linux_User

Linux_User

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

Short answer .. NO .. "backups" don't work that way.

Longer answer, whilst it is possible to export package markings and repo lists, then apply them to a fresh install .. in this case a simple clone would be BY FAR the simplest solution.

If you've never used clonezilla before, and aren't comfortable with text mode / ncurses options, "Redo Backup & Recovery"

http://redobackup.org/

might be an better option .. there's a video about cloning with redo here

when you get to the part where he says "select all the partitions .. just select the Linux Mint partition.

Once you've cloned that partition, ask here for advice on reinstalling GRUB and (if necessary) adjusting the UUID's in /etc/fstab

Edited by Linux_User, 28 April 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

Regret delays in Posting, see my signature below.

I have posted a Topic on Aptik, currently to be found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612761/aptik-move-your-linux-to-a-different-drive-or-computer/

... but if you don't find it there it means it has been moved to the Tutorials section.

I chose the avenue of posting elsewhere, so that others might benefit from the information long after Brian's (Condobloke's) Topic has moved down the rankings.

Questions on my Aptik process should be posted there, whilst the methods proposed here by eg Linux_User and others can be taken into account by current readers as part of their choice of solutions. Input directly related to the OP's situation can of course still be posted here, unless or until Staff decide otherwise.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users