Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Desktop Properties

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 grilledcheese

grilledcheese

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi guys! I was screwing around with some stuff in my control panel a little earlier and I just noticed that when from desktop I right click>properties it pulls up Display Properties directly with no tabs to select anything else. How do I get this back to its original form? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

A system restore might work. want hurt to try.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Would a SR not affect everything else I've modified since? Is there any easier/less risky way of correcting this?

Edited by grilledcheese, 05 August 2006 - 05:59 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

If you know what you changed/altered to cause this then you can just reverse it. If you made the changes today then just go back to yesterday with system restore. Others might have more options for you, so if you want hold up and maybe some one else will respond.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

Cool, thanks for the advice dude.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

It just dawned on me that you might be thinking I was suggesting a XP restore. I am suggesting this system restore:
click Start/right click on My Computer/choose Properties/ choose the System Restore tab

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

A lot of malware will reduce your display properties tab to only one item.
Typically your background has changed then and your home page has been reset. The system becomes sluggish too

Is this the case?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

No, I haven't noted any background or homepage changes at all and the system does not seem unusually sluggish.

#9 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

If you know what you changed/altered to cause this then you can just reverse it. If you made the changes today then just go back to yesterday with system restore. Others might have more options for you, so if you want hold up and maybe some one else will respond.

I'm unfamiliar with that restore and am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of fooling around with it (especially since it was my carelessness that got me into this situation in the first place! :thumbsup: )

Edited by grilledcheese, 05 August 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

Its not a difficult or dangerous process grilledcheese.
Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Click Restore to an earlier time.Select a date just prior to the day of the changes.Follow the prompts and your computer will be taken back to the way it was before you started foolin around with the settings. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

Will that affect anything else that I've changed to my computer since changing the settings that are effecting the properties window?

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

Yes,it will change the settings back to the day you choose in System Restore.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

Which is why I do not want to do system restore. Perhaps I am not being explicit enough. Basically, I have been downloading various programs and applications over the last 24 hours, mainly those which have been recommended to me by one of the staff members in my HiJackThis analysis thread. I do not want to do anything that will cause these inputted programs and applications, or the changes that have come as a result, to be removed or interefered with. If I do not need to be concerned with this, please let me know and I will attempt the system restore you posted. Thanks bro.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

You should not of asked about this as long as you are being helped by the HiJack This team. If you had of restored to an earlier date all the malware would have been restored TOO. A Little late with the info but luckily you didn't do a restore.

#15 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

Haha, glad I was in doubt. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully someone will know another way around this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users