Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online or not ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

A couple of related questions about being online or not ?

My pc is on for most of the day, but when I am not using email or the browser I turn off the web network connections on the assumption this will reduce my online presence and so less attack.

Am I correct in this assumption or is leaving the network open but not using anything just as safe ?

( though its clear other system programs /av etc do keep on using the network )

Also I now have a security program that under certain conditions it will send me an email.

So if I leave the network open it will have no problems in sending the mail out, but as above, am I leaving my system at greater risk ?

Is there any other way I can allow these emails out from this security program but retain greater safety to the open network  or in some way, just  automatically open a port for this program ?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

Assuming you are on Windows, is Windows' Firewall on?  Are you connecting to the internet through your home router?  That would make two firewalls which is safe enough to me.

#3 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

Assuming you are on Windows, is Windows' Firewall on?  Are you connecting to the internet through your home router?  That would make two firewalls which is safe enough to me.

Doh, sorry  !   - missed the obvious  - yes W8.1 Firewall and Netgear based home Router, used in wired only mode, wireless switched off.

So its safe enough with those firewalls  to leave the lines open for the the odd email to be auto sent out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users