Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSDs from Kingston and Crucial better than companies like Sandisk?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

I'm shopping for storage upgrade and was wondering about this. Are the companies like Kingston and Crucial's SSDs really better than Samsung and Sandisk's.

I mean, I can go to best buy and just pick up what seems to be comparable Sandisk or Samsung SSD,  but on the other hand the internet seems to love those names I mentioned above. I think price-wise Sandisk and Samsung is a bit more affordable no?

What's your take on this guys? Thanks a bunch!

Edited by allstock, 23 April 2016 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/storage/best-solid-state-drives/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

Okay thanks. I actually went with the Samsung evo, which leads to my next post. haha

Just a few bits of review from a computer utilitarian and not so much a professional builder.

The Samsung EVO850 (installed on my laptop) does make a streamlined difference in the way most of my applications open up - almost instantly. It takes Excel less than a full second to open and be ready with a blank sheet, almost as fast with saved sheet does my system do the same.

Installing software is REALLY quick.

Looks like my read times went up realistically between 3 to 4x faster based on the CyrstalDisk tester.

Noise wise: I thought I previously had none really and just the fan, but aside from the familiar it is eerily quiet. The HDD now SSD light is barely a blink anymore.

Along with the noise level the Heat level has dropped considerably as well as the fan speed. This is going to be big plus for me on hot days.

Firefox browser does still take some time and that's actually going far since I'm an impatient one to begin with. It definitely does not open as fast as an office suite app, however fast it still is.

I'd recommend the Samsung EVO850 for the working professional or the average home user as well. At $150, the price is comparable to similar size, competitor SSD's. For the hardcore machines, I'd recommend the Samsung's PRO line. My two gripes with it is that they didn't include a migration cable - the software does come with it though. As trivial as it is, the cables can cost as much as thirty dollars because most big box retailers only carry those that are coupled with some migration software of their own. That was all that BestBuy had...just the one. You'd be better off getting one online for under ten dollars - without shipping cost yet - if your the patient type.

The other gripe I have is more along the lines of directions (they are extremely minimal) for the newest of noobs like myself. Their migration disk comes with two programs, the migration software and a disk analysis software. Here's where my left or right brains failed me; for some reason it was too easy to confuse the analysis software, "Magician" as the migration software. I spent a needless amount of my Saturday afternoon and early evening trying to figure out why I kept getting a "unable to detect SSD" message...You guessed it, I was thinking I needed to use Magician for the migration. What a dumbass, but I think others just as less initiated as I would make the same difference.

I'd like to mention that even after the migration I still couldn't get Magician to recognize the SSD. Maybe I'll eventually find the answer to this someday. Aside from those points I'd definitely recommend this SSD.

If anyone has the answer to the question above that would be great! Also I went ahead and initialized the SSD before the migration, was this necessary? Thanks for reading!

Edited by allstock, 24 April 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

Kingston V series and Samsung 840 series both are proven to be crap. Also Crucial M500 is very old. Not much good to say about that site's "comparison".

I'd recommend the Samsung EVO850 for the working professional or the average home user as well. At $150, the price is comparable to similar size, competitor SSD's. For the hardcore machines, I'd recommend the Samsung's PRO line. My two gripes with it is that they didn't include a migration cable - the software does come with it though. As trivial as it is, the cables can cost as much as thirty dollars because most big box retailers only carry those that are coupled with some migration software of their own. That was all that BestBuy had...just the one. You'd be better off getting one online for under ten dollars - without shipping cost yet - if your the patient type.

The other gripe I have is more along the lines of directions (they are extremely minimal) for the newest of noobs like myself. Their migration disk comes with two programs, the migration software and a disk analysis software. Here's where my left or right brains failed me; for some reason it was too easy to confuse the analysis software, "Magician" as the migration software. I spent a needless amount of my Saturday afternoon and early evening trying to figure out why I kept getting a "unable to detect SSD" message...You guessed it, I was thinking I needed to use Magician for the migration. What a dumbass, but I think others just as less initiated as I would make the same difference.

I'd like to mention that even after the migration I still couldn't get Magician to recognize the SSD. Maybe I'll eventually find the answer to this someday. Aside from those points I'd definitely recommend this SSD.

If anyone has the answer to the question above that would be great! Also I went ahead and initialized the SSD before the migration, was this necessary? Thanks for reading!

I don't recommend Samsung Evo for anything. High power comsumption for laptops and experimental TLC is never good choice as 840 and 840 Evo series has proven.

For your question, try to install AHCI drivers.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 24 April 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

@DrillingMachine Besides the fact that the some of the Samsung 850 pro use TLC wich will wear out faster, it is the fastest SATA consumer drive on the market. I would like to see where it says they are "proven crap" for consumers.

Edited: See post below. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 April 2016 - 11:59 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

@Drillingmachine.

What you have expressed is only your opinion.  You statements are unsubstantiated at best.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

@DrillingMachine Besides the fact that the some of the Samsung 850 pro use TLC wich will wear out faster, it is the fastest SATA consumer drive on the market. I would like to see where it says they are "proven crap" for consumers.

That is 850 Evo in fact. You say fastest? I say one of slowest. You see, 850 Evo uses ultra slow TLC that is hidden with small SLC buffer. When using SLC buffer it's fast but TLC is ultra slow:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-850-evo-850-pro-2tb-ssd,4205.html

All of the products we've tested with triple-level-cell flash utilize some form of emulated SLC write cache that yields better performance in short bursts, but quickly falls back to native TLC write speeds once the buffer fills. In some cases, that means sequential write performance as low as 125 MB/s.

Sequential write 125 MB/s is about same as my first SSD like 2009 or something like that. Typical "looks good at benchmarks" product. Also, I said 840 and 840 Evo has proven that experimental TLC is not good. I also said that v300 and 840 Evo has proven crap, both claims are true.

@Drillingmachine.

What you have expressed is only your opinion.  You statements are unsubstantiated at best.

What I said are all very well known facts.

840 Evo: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Samsung-840-840-EVO-susceptible-flash-read-speed-degradation-over-time

Kingston V300: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

I also claimed that 850 Evo uses experimental TLC. Any other products that use 40nm V-NAND TLC? None.

As Samsung's experiments failed with 840 Evo why take risk with 850 Evo?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

@Drillingmachine.

And I think you missed my main point. My main criticism was about that comparison site. There are good comparison sites, but there are also some that should be entirely avoided (CPU Boss is good example. These two links are enough for that http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4690K and http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K ).

Now, for that http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/storage/best-solid-state-drives/ site, it's easy see at first glance that it's useless:

OCZ Vertex 4 is EOL and OCZ has been acquired by Toshiba. Corsair Force GT has been long time EOL. Kingston HyperX has been long EOL, has been replaced with either HyperX Fury or HyperX Savage. OCZ Agility is also EOL because Toshiba etc., Kingston V300 (as above), Samsung 840 series (as above) and also is EOL. Crucial M500 is EOL.

Because Crucial MX100 replaced M500 about two years ago, that site's recommendations are about two years behind :)

Edited by Drillingmachine, 24 April 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

Seems we have hijacked this topic a bit. I will take a moment to apologize about my statement to DrillingMachine about the Samsung 850. The Samsung 950 Pro and 951 use MLC and are among the fastest drives available not the Samsung 850 (which in its day was the fastest). I will also retract that they are the definitive fastest since that has likely changed since I last read and will continue to change as technology advances.  :thumbup2:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 April 2016 - 11:58 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

You need to drop it.  You are pirating this topic to use as your soap box.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

Well...the topic, as stated, has no apparent purpose other than to elicit member opinions, not facts.

It has succeeded in doing so, I see :).

Read that opening post again, please :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users