Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Firefox / NoScript users becareful buying from Crucial's website

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:42 AM

If you're a firefox user with Noscript add-on, be sure to totally allow the website or whitelist it permanently. I found out the hard way that if you just "temporarily allow all this page" and then confirm the payment, you will be taken to a page saying "javascript not enabled....please contact customer support". 

Naturally one's propensity, like mine was to back out and retry again or several times. After finally trying after clicking "allow all this page" the authorization page showed up.

Unfortunately their website developers did not put a fail safe for the transaction so regardless if you've seen the "javascript not enabled" screen after you confirm, the transaction will go through EACH TIME.

Their support couldn't find the order when I called them and later found it, then the third time they couldn't and said it was my fault. They later emailed me at the address that they said I might've misspelled (but one confirmation was sent to me at the time(s) of purchase) and suggested it was the reason for being unable to find the order. They emailed me to tell me that they cancelled the order all together. Thought buying hardware at a premium seller would have its benefits. Problem is I have three Crucial purchase authorizations on my account freezing four-hundred dollars until they fall off....sheesh! This would really inconvenience you if you have only a little money in the account you are using.

So if you are a Mozilla, Firefox user with Noscript and are looking to buy a SSD or other from Crucial, be careful and turn off Noscript or whitelist their website. Never had this kind of problem with other online retailer even with the javascript issue.

Edited by allstock, 23 April 2016 - 02:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:29 AM

Now THAT's interesting!

I hang out at the Linux & Unix Section and we recommend adding on NoScript all the time, to FF.

Thanks, allstock :thumbup2:

... and avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

I don't use NoScript, but still good to know.

Personally, my internet always decides to get shaky right when I decide to buy something online, so I often end up with my fingers crossed hoping it will go through, and that if it doesn't I won't end up paying twice. :(

#4 pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the warning!  I've found it's best to totally disable any script blockers, add-blockers on any important sites I visit, bank, purchasing sites etc.  I've had similar troubles (although not as disappointing) so just do this to be safe.  And if they are well liked sites might as well support them with their advertising.  Even had problems with downloads until many trackers are allowed, so I just disable all.

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users